REI=Really Expensive Implements

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I do buy from them once in awhile, but their pricing is outrageous on some items. They must appeal to snobs. Their latest catologue lists the Garmin ETrex Vista HCx for $299. They are either trying to appeal to people with money who don't care what they spend, or they must be trying to pull in the odd idiot who does no bargain shopping.

Its hit or miss with them.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
GPS pricing is so cutthroat. When I was selling them, people on ebay were listing them with Buy It Now prices cheaper than I could buy them from distributors. Anybody who pays full retail price for a GPS is massively overpaying.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
You can find a deal there once in a while. I bought one of their brand packs on the outlet site. It is rugged and has the feaures I like. They also let you return stuff if you don't like it. No questions asked. I returned a tent that did'nt work out. If I had bought it from a small outfit I would have been stuck with it. They also have these attic sales where they sell the stuff people return, you can get some great deals.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I've looked there a couple of times, won't be going back. A person can easily beat their prices for just about anything, even if you join their co-op cult and count the kickback, which you may or may not get at the end of the year.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
That being said, where do you buy gear? I'm a big fan of the Campmor "Super Special Deals". I bought a Columbia parka last year that was the previous years colors/style. The current style was $180, mine was $85.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Campmor for the standard stuff, sales only, visiting the store is a pain now that I don't travel up there that often anymore, but mail order is good with one day delivery :) Cabela's is the second choice.

Electonics I search around.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
True that REI can be expensive. But the plus is that they have a nice, big store with helpful salespeople, so you can actually see and touch things before buying. I always enjoy browsing around their store in Marlton, and have bought some things there which would have no doubt been cheaper elsewhere. Mailorder only places are always going to be cheaper since bricks, mortar and staff cost money.

But with the way things are going in the retail segment these days, soon we will have a lot less options for local stores...

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
But with the way things are going in the retail segment these days, soon we will have a lot less options for local stores...

The only good store local to me is Bob Kislins, and they are limited in what they carry.

If you get the chance, stop by Campmor on RT17 in Paramus, but don't go near rush hour :) Nice sized place, can spend a day just looking around. EMS opened a store next to them and closed within 2 years.

Anyone remember Morsan's? I still have a tent from them, must be about 35 years old and still servicable.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The only good store local to me is Bob Kislins, and they are limited in what they carry.

If you get the chance, stop by Campmor on RT17 in Paramus, but don't go near rush hour :) Nice sized place, can spend a day just looking around. EMS opened a store next to them and closed within 2 years.

Anyone remember Morsan's? I still have a tent from them, must be about 35 years old and still servicable.

I always wanted to visit Campmoor. I went by there one time to check out a college for my daughter way the hell up by the Ramapo mountains. Who is EMS?

I find Kislins to be overpriced and, like you say, limited.

I think another discount store with good selection is really needed in this area.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA

last time I went to campmor they were still in the old store, I was 14 I bouh gt my first tent, backpack and sleeping bag with my allowance that I had saved. I still go to there web site. Overall after my rebate REI is usually pretty much the same.