Remember the days of riding a Schwinn?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They sure have. I always enjoy watching the video's of bike riding.

BTW, there was some sort of bike race in the Batsto Green Bank area and beyond today. Police all over at the intersections. A few were moving along quite well, and a few seemed to be talking and laughing. Plenty of woman involved also.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
They sure have. I always enjoy watching the video's of bike riding.

BTW, there was some sort of bike race in the Batsto Green Bank area and beyond today. Police all over at the intersections. A few were moving along quite well, and a few seemed to be talking and laughing. Plenty of woman involved also.

Guy

Yep, passed by it on Stage Rd on the way to Forsythe NWR, then hit the horrendous traffic going into Smithville and took some detours.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Entertaining video with good music. Those kids seem to be very good at what they do. I've always wondered how many scrapes and bruises they've gotten in attaining that level.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Truly incredible. Some folks just got it when it comes to that sort of thing.
I think it's 50% practice and 150% balls.
I wouldn't try 1/8 of that.
My son Sam loved it! Thanks.

g.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Some info I could dig up on the rider in the video.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6301764.ece#

From Wikipedia.

"Danny MacAskill is a stunt cyclist who released a five-and-a-half-minute video on YouTube on the 19th April 2009, filmed by his flat mate Dave Sowerby.[1]

As of 21 April 2009, Danny, a twenty-three year old from the Isle of Skye, had been practicing for more than 12 years. He gave up his job as a mechanic so he could ride full time.[1] He now lives in Edinburgh. He often listens to music while riding.[2] In June 2009, Danny appeared in the music video for Doves' single "Winter Hill".[3]"

The bike race was the Multiple Sclerosis City-to-Shore Bike Ride. The bikers start in Cherry Hill on Saturday morning and end at Ocean City that night, going 75 miles. The next day, they turn around and go back the way they came.

The Batsto stop (at the Batsto-Pleasant Mills Church) is part of the "century loop" for people crazy enough to bike 100 miles on the first day and then 75 more miles the next day. My Boy Scouts were helping to man the rest stop there on Saturday, and we've manned various rest stops for the past ten years for the ride.

Its a really good event that raises millions and millions of dollars for research each year. The most inspiring part of the whole event takes place in Ocean City at the first days finish line, where MS victims and their families (many of the victims in wheelchairs) line the final strech to cheer on/thank the riders. 7,000 riders each year cross that finish line.

My favorite rider is this 70+ year old Chinese woman who barely speaks any English who rides the whole 150 miles on a one speed bike, something she has done since the event was begun over 20 years ago. She wears a dress and high heeled shoes (she rode a bike to work like that for her entire life, so she says she can't ride any other way) and stops for tea at each rest stop. Her grandkids ride with her to keep track of her and translate.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The bike race was the Multiple Sclerosis City-to-Shore Bike Ride. The bikers start in Cherry Hill on Saturday morning and end at Ocean City that night, going 75 miles. The next day, they turn around and go back the way they came.

The racers we came upon were going into Bass River SP, no one was coming back out, it appears it ended there.