Renewing your driver's license- FYI

B

BarryC

This week on payday I went to the bank drivethrough as usual and gave them my driver's license along with my deposit ticket since I always get cash back. Well this time the woman says "Mr. Caselli? Do you have a valid driver's license?" I was flabbergasted! :shock: Of course I do. She then told me it had expired November 30! Then I realized that I had forgetten to renew. This is the first time since I started driving. So (to make a long story short), today as an emergency measure, I took my renewal application along with the check already filled out, directly to the DMV agency in Northfield, and guess what? You need lots of ID now to get a license, and even to renew it. I was not informed of this when I got the renewal application in the mail. :x This was a big surprise.
There's a list of items of ID that are worth 4 points each, a list of items worth 2 points each and a list of items worth 1 point each. You need one 4 point item, and either one 2 point item or two 1 point items. But you can't use more than two 1 point items.
The number one 1 point item of ID on the list is your birth certificate.
So they want two to three items totalling 6 points, otherwise they won't renew your license. Plus you need proof of your address or they won't renew.
Maybe some of you know about this. But today was the first I had heard of it. So now I have to get all my ID together and go all the way back to Northfield again.
They told me if I had renewed by mail they would have mailed back my application anyway. But what I don't understand is, how are you supposed to take care of original forms of this ID without actually sending it in the mail, if you want to renew by mail? Are they just going to do away with renewing by mail? Even if it is for a good purpose, that's a little ridiculous. The guy told me the reason behind having 6 points worth of ID when you renew is for homeland security. It all goes back to the events of 9 11.
I just wish I knew before going all the way down there. I guess my application was sent to me during a transition time or something.
So be advised, take a birth certificate, a Social Security card, an ATM card, and a utility bill with you when you renew your license, or one of the other items on their list. Don't forget. They don't make exceptions.
Barry

Funny, I too let my license renewal get by me and had to go to the DMV to renew. I knew I needed ID but not what ID. I had my birth certificate, old license and social security card. That wasn't enough. They also wanted a Mac card and a recent bill with my address on it. I had the Mac card but no bill. Fortunately I had my pay stub which had my address on it and they accepted it but told me that that would not do the next time. Hmmmm.......

Steve

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Yeah, because it's so hard to forge a utility bill and so easy to forge a paycheck... :rolleyes:

Glad McGreevy has the "Fix DMV" initiative. I suppose Fix DMV = "Make it a royal pain in the ass to do anything... with a smile."

B

bach2yoga

I misplaced my license a couple months ago, took in my birth certificate and marriage certificate; the birth certificate was not acceptable because it was a hospital copy, and the marriage certificate, the same.We were married in Jamaica--like I can just go hop a plane to Jamaica to get another copy. I wish!!! :D
So I went to city hall to get a copy of my birth certificate, and what did I need? A drivers license. I had no utilities in my name, and at the time the paperwork was still at our attorney's to add my name to the house deed, something we just recently got around to, so I had virtually nothing that they would accept. I cried, that was proof enough I guess, so they gave it to me and I went back and got my license.

By the way, we went a couple weeks ago for our passports, and we were told that in a couple of months you will need passports for Mexico and Canada as well.

Renee