Returning To The Wescoat Bog Area...a PBX Hike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Today a few members of the PBX hiking club headed out to again explore Wescoat Bog and a few other interesting locations in that area. For those of you who do not know, the Wescoat Bog is the fan shaped bog on the edge of the Great Swamp between Atsion and Batsto. In attendance was TeeGate (Me), Bobpbx, Pinelandpaddler, and another member of PBX not from this site. And also in attendance was Bob’s dog Buddy who made the day even more interesting. He took a swim and walked across a log that would have made the Walenda's proud.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.69...976&spn=0.012846,0.030556&t=k&om=1&iwloc=addr

We parked along the road from Atsion to Batsto and started our hike by bushwhacking to the bog. Along the way we encountered this interesting gem.

main.php

And you can see in this photo how vehicles driving where they should not be has left their mark.

IMG_8737.JPG

As usual we came upon a hunters blind that we had to check out. As you can see they had the best of creature comforts.

stand1.JPG

stand2.JPG

A view of one of the many frozen area’s we encountered.

IMG_8740.JPG

Arriving as Wescoat I found the very NE corner state monument. You can see it was a corner by the angled slash marks, and it is in the town of Hammonton because of the letter “H”. When the state purchased Wharton in the mid 50’s this bog was still in private ownership and was considered an “exception”. That means all of the property in that area was Wharton “except” Wescoat Bogs.

IMG_8742.JPG

This area is quite remote and Bob was surprised to find this quantity of this particular flower growing in the corner of the bog. I am embarrassed to admit I have forgotten the name, so hopefully Bob will help me out.

Xyris%20torta.JPG

We then went looking for a very old tractor wheel that RedneckF350 informed us was there. He gave us what he felt was the approximate coordinates from his remembrance of where it was, and I have to say he was way off. When we finally found it we were all of 28 feet away. Give us more accurate coordinates the next time Scott :)

wheel.JPG

IMG_8747.JPG

And less than 40 feet away Bob found another state property stone. No need to post a photo of another one.

From there we headed to the dam or mill we had visited a few years back, and decided to check it out again. Here is Bob on the left relaxing during lunch. You can see the remains of the dam for the mill pond behind him.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/completepbx/02102007/Bob:Paul.JPG[/IMG]

In this photo you can see where the dam or mill had been located, with only the high ground that surround the mill pond remaining. There are very old cedar logs still remaining just a few feet below the water at this location.

main.php

I will let Pinelandpaddler if he wants give his historical perspective on this location.

All in all a great day to be in the pines. The average rating this time was about 8.5 with Bob giving it a 9. One of the higher rated hikes for sure.

Guy

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
When you go out on a day as nippy in the morning as this one, you are always a little hesistant starting out. But when that 'ol Mr. Sun comes out, you are alway (ALWAYS) glad you made the effort. It was warm and sunny, with great company.

Here is an interesting perspective of the location I called "shoe":

main.php

Guy has been in more "different" tree stands in the Pines than any other man alive:

main.php

Some people give their dog crusty old bones, some give them a pat on the head once a day. Some give them a rubber squeaky toy. I give Buddy this:

main.php

Gabe (Pineland Paddler) shows he has what it takes to be a Pine Barren Explorer:

main.php

The boys and the wheels (sounds like a country swing group):

main.php

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I am glad you found that wheel.
I was having some doubts as to whether it was where I remembered it to be.
The last time I saw it was around 1989, before civilian GPS.
The coords I gave you were a guesstimate from a location nearby.
Looks like a great trip on a beautiful day.
I will be out in the Lower Forge and then the Penn Swamp area today with the wife and dog.
If any one sees a red F-350 out that way, stop and say hello.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We found it with no problems.........except the briers. Thanks for the info. The wheel is a slightly different one than the tractor at the Boot Hill Gun Club it appears.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Guy, the tracks show clearly what happened to us in the ice swamp. Somehow we got turned to the extreme south west. Rule number one next time is to first determine the exact direction we are heading with a compass versus the one we think we are heading. Then, turn to the direction we wanted to head and see where the way points are in relation to that.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10011/normal_Westcoat_tracks.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have a digital compass that I should start to bring with us. With the poor performace I have had with my Legend I need it.

Guy

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
What great photos. I especially love the one of Buddy. Whoever said dogs can't laugh has never had a happy dog. :)

The thing I love about the pines is that it's always a different experience whenever you go. The season, the time of day, the weather: It's always a totally different place. Thanks for sharing your photos of yesterday's cold, sunny day.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Guy, Bob et al.

I just got my Pines book collection back yesterday and immediately did some research on past operations on Sleepy Creek. In Heart of the Pines, John Pearce writes that John Estell dammed the stream and constructed a mill of some sort (probably a saw mill) around the year 1765. I'm currently looking for more info....

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Guy, Bob et al.

I just got my Pines book collection back yesterday and immediately did some research on past operations on Sleepy Creek. In Heart of the Pines, John Pearce writes that John Estell dammed the stream and constructed a mill of some sort (probably a saw mill) around the year 1765. I'm currently looking for more info....

That was a long time ago.

Say Gabe, what do you know about Wading River Forge? Is it in any of the books?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Bob,

The "mystery mill"....the enigmatic Wading River forge and slitting mill at Harrisville. Nothing of the buildings remain today since the construction of Route 679 destroyed it. John Pearce explains in Heart that it ceased its operations after a fire in 1823 but I haven't found anything on when it was constructed or even who ran the operation. Have you found anything on this?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Bob, since we're on the history subject....

Remember when you asked me about New Pond during when we were at Mary ann? What I told you was way off-base, and I blame Arthur Pierce! Actually, I should have known better since Heart of the Pines includes photos of the construction of New Pond Dam. Arthur Pierce claimed that Jospeh Ball constructed the dam in the 1790's, but it was actually built a hundred years later!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob,

The "mystery mill"....the enigmatic Wading River forge and slitting mill at Harrisville. Nothing of the buildings remain today since the construction of Route 679 destroyed it. John Pearce explains in Heart that it ceased its operations after a fire in 1823 but I haven't found anything on when it was constructed or even who ran the operation. Have you found anything on this?

No, I don't know, but I wanted to make the big trip next year the "other" side of the river with a bit more time to explore in the Harrisville area (and no fooling around crossing the river for no good reason; I'm done with that).