Returning To The Wescoat Bog Area...a PBX Hike

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, since we're on the history subject....

Remember when you asked me about New Pond during when we were at Mary ann? What I told you was way off-base, and I blame Arthur Pierce! Actually, I should have known better since Heart of the Pines includes photos of the construction of New Pond Dam. Arthur Pierce claimed that Jospeh Ball constructed the dam in the 1790's, but it was actually built a hundred years later!

Do you mean Henry Beck in one of your cites above?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Bob,

The Harrisville area is really neat, and I've barely poked around there at all. I think you've got a good idea there.

No, I wasn't referring to Beck. I haven't found any mention of New Pond in any of Beck's books and articles, have you? Do you have a copy of Iron in the Pines by Pierce? That is where I got the confused ideas from.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob,

The Harrisville area is really neat, and I've barely poked around there at all. I think you've got a good idea there.

No, I wasn't referring to Beck. I haven't found any mention of New Pond in any of Beck's books and articles, have you? Do you have a copy of Iron in the Pines by Pierce? That is where I got the confused ideas from.

Sorry, I was wrong. It is Aurthur Pierce. Its the first photo in the section in the middle of the book that has photos. I'd like to see that pond.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Ya know, Bob, I suppose it's possible that Ball did dam the creek at the same location that the 1895 dam was built. Maybe the photos in Heart of the Pines are not of the construction of New Pond Dam, but rather the "re-construction"? I don't have my copy of Iron in the Pines with me at the time. What else does Pierce say about it?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ya know, Bob, I suppose it's possible that Ball did dam the creek at the same location that the 1895 dam was built. Maybe the photos in Heart of the Pines are not of the construction of New Pond Dam, but rather the "re-construction"? I don't have my copy of Iron in the Pines with me at the time. What else does Pierce say about it?

On page 128:

"During this period (1780's) Ball dammed the Atsion River to form what is now called "New Pond" and appears on old maps as "Joseph Ball's New Pond". It is the second of the three lakes at Batsto, lying between Batsto Pond and Forge Pond. The dam has been out for some years. No records have been found to indicate the purpose to which Joseph Ball put this particular source of waterpower"

Aurthur D. Pierce...."Iron in the Pines"...Rutgers University Press.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Yeah, I consulted Peirce when I got to my Dad's today. Now that I've thought about it some more, I'm inclined to believe that Pierce is right and that a new dam was simply constructed in the same location 100 years after Ball originally dammed the stream. I can't know for sure just yet...

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Bob said:
I'd like to see that pond.

I am in disbelief still, but the New Pond can be seen in the 1930's aerial photos from the NJDEP site. The dam burst in the early thirties, so these photos must have been taken just in time! Thank goodness. I'm in heaven now.

Thank you, Scott, for turning us on to this. :)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I am in disbelief still, but the New Pond can be seen in the 1930's aerial photos from the NJDEP site. The dam burst in the early thirties, so these photos must have been taken just in time! Thank goodness. I'm in heaven now.

Thank you, Scott, for turning us on to this. :)

Send a link! Does cut and paste work? If not, use topozone for the area, then I'll find it.