Revisiting the Chemical Dumps along 532 and 72.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

On my last outing with manumuskin we were discussing the chemical dumps off of 532 and 72, and Al mentioned he had not viewed my photo showing the sticks I placed into the chemical syrup. So I scanned it up for Al and you all can view it below. But first, I was rereading the Superfund info that Bob posted in 2005 and now with Historic Aerials we can follow along somewhat. Here is the Superfund info and I will place the photo's in the proper spots as I see them. Some older members may remember this but I believe there are enough new members to post this again.

The 12-acre woodland route 72 dump site is an abandoned hazardous waste dump
in woodland township, BurlingtonCounty, new jersey. The site is being Remediated concurrently with another
Abandoned dump, the 20-acre woodland Route 532 dump site, located 3 miles from
The route 72 site. Both sites are in the Pinelands preservation area district of
New jersey. Several chemical Manufacturing firms dumped chemicals
And other wastes into trenches and Lagoons or burned the waste at the
Sites from the early 1950s to 1962. An Estimated total of 54,000 cubic yards
(route 72, 28,000 cubic yards; route 532, 26,000 cubic yards) of surface material
Including surface soil, stream sediment, sludge, and debris at the sites are
contaminated with wastes including tarry substances and paint residues.
furthermore, leaching from surface materials has resulted in the
contamination of 300,000 cubic yards (route 72, 130,000 cubic yards; route 532,
170,000 cubic yards) of subsurface soil and ground water beneath both sites.
The primary contaminants of concern affecting the surface soil, sediment,
sludge, debris, and ground water are Vocs including benzene, toluene, tce
and xylenes; organics including pahs, pesticides, and phenols; radionuclides
(e.g., uranium and thorium series); and metals including lead and chromium. [The also
found a full drum of radioactive pellets]

Both sites are located within the Pinelands Preservation Area District of New Jersey, and
there is one residence within a 3-mile radius of the site. Both sites overlie the Cohansey and Kirkwood Aquifers; the Cohansey Aquifer is the major source of potable water for the area and was impacted by past disposal practices associated with the sites. From 1951 to 1962, several chemical manufacturing companies disposed of chemicals and other waste into onsite trenches or lagoons and burned various types of waste at the sites.

The western half of the Route 532 site was organized into a series of bermed lagoons when the disposal began.

1956 lagoons

westernhalf.jpg

A 1962 aerial photograph showed that most of the disposal areas had been regraded and that black liquid, previously dumped onsite, had breached the lagoon berm and was flowing into the nearby pine forest.

1963 aerial showing the breach flowing into the pine forest

westernhalf1.jpg

A 1984 aerial photograph indicated that the site remained unchanged between 1962 and 1984; and that partially buried drums were located on the edges of the former lagoons and road on the western portion of the site, and partially buried drums and general refuse were piled along former roads on the eastern half of the property. No site controls were in place from 1962 to 1986.

THE CONTAMINATED GROUND WATER PLUME (is) ESTIMATED TO BE 4,000 FEET LONG, AND 25 TO 50 FEET DEEP.

TREATMENT TO BE DETERMINED DURING DESIGN (BUT ANTICIPATED TO INCLUDE AIR STRIPPING,
METALS REMOVAL, BIOLOGICAL TREATMENT, AND ADVANCED OXIDATION OR CARBON
ADSORPTION) AND REINJECTION OF TREATED GROUND WATER; AND GROUND AND SURFACE
WATER MONITORING. THE TOTAL ESTIMATED PRESENT WORTH COST FOR THE CONCURRENT
REMEDIAL ACTIONS AT THE ROUTE 72 AND ROUTE 532 SITES IS $142,200,000, WHICH
INCLUDES AN ESTIMATED PRESENT WORTH O&M COST OF $114,000,000 FOR 30 YEARS.

Source: NJ Dept of Environmental Protection.

As for the site close to 72 we first see evidence of it in 1956.

72.jpg

By the middle of the 1970's I visited there and found the ground in spots to be like very thick syrup. You can see in this photo the sticks I stuck in it stayed in place. The smell was terrible and gave us a headache. Sorry about the quality of the photo but I was having camera problems at the time.

72_2.jpg

Another area where I shoved sticks into the syrup.

72_1.jpg

And my 'Then and Now" from the gallery.

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/sh.../title/chemical-dump-near-coyle-field/cat/238

Guy