Richland Village

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
For a year we have been passing signs for the Cape May Seashore Lines in Richland Village while taking Tuckahoe Road the back way to Wildwood. On Wednesday we decided to check it out. It's an interesting little town, unexpected along Rt 40. There are some old buildings associated with the Rail Road , a couple of cabooses, a model RR, a very nice park and some old buildings.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.49247723130641&lng=-74.87166423004152&z=16&type=terrain&gpx=
P8240057s.jpg

P8240054s.jpg

P8240030s.jpg

P8240033s.jpg

There is a giant oak in Saw Mill Park that died last year.
P8240048sp.jpg

P8240037s.jpg

At first glance we thought the fence around it was for a dog park.
P8240031s.jpg

They were quite concerned about their 235 year old oak.
http://www.buenavistanj.com/2015/08/30/mayors-corner-richland-villages-giant-oak-in-trouble/

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
Richland Village continued.

The Patcong model railroad is in this building. They were closed when we were there.
View attachment 7891 i use to go their when i was in my younger years when most of the buildings were mom and pop shops.i hear the train runs to Tuckahoe around Christmas time from the village.

View attachment 7892

https://www.facebook.com/patcongvalleyrr

There are some older buildings in the area including this very well stocked hardware store.
View attachment 7893

An unexpected gem.
Ed

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
That feed mill was Richland Grain Company and Paragon Poultry, my dad's operation. Its progenitor was founded by Andy Levari, who built the first feed mixer and warehouse behind Richland General Store in the '40s in support of the growing egg industry. We partnered with Andy on turkey range-land.

Yes, the Richland Saw Mill Park oak is dead-dead, and it was mismanagement that killed it; and I have the evidence and expertise to substantiate this claim. The municipality was forewarned years earlier that their park “improvements” put the tree at risk. White oaks are exquisitely adapted to Pinelands poor soil conditions (low pH, low nutrients, fast drainage). During park development roots were injured by cultivating the ground and trenching for irrigation (and lighting); and the rooting environment was radically altered to support a manicured lawn (fertilizer, lime, sprinkling) over the tree’s need for a woodland soil environment.

Without proper stormwater management facilities in place, we now flood from the new sidewalks and other redevelopment “improvements” that were done without notice and in violation of multiple Pinelands rules. Adding to the earlier tree injuries mentioned above stormwater now floods the park and adjacent houses. No wonder the oak tree's roots rotted, as this species is intolerant to wet feet.

Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 4.25.01 PM.png
Without redevelopment stormwater management, we now flood two- to three-times a year.

Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 4.25.20 PM.png

Two-years back I spoke to the Pinelands Commissioners at a regular meeting explaining why Saw Mill Park’s tree was going to die and there was nothing that could be done about it.

Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 4.34.22 PM.png

You cannot take a Pinelands-adapted tree and subject it to the kind of plant-people pressures that come along with urbanization. I continued that the same can be said about the redevelopment gentrification of Pinelands Villages. Their distinctive character too will die with forced urbanization, which is in direct conflict with the Pinelands mission statement.

Saw Mill Park Oak was in my estimation about 175-years old, and cannot be seen in the c.1888 woodcut below.

Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 4.52.23 PM.png

Old sketch of Richland Village at southeast corner of Main Avenue and US Route 40. (A) the Jonathan Harris Smith house, Richland’s first residence and is considered eligible for listing in the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places under National Register criterion. (B) Johnny Smith’s seed store, the first business in town. Unfortunately the structure was recently torn down. (C) Smith’s steam-powered sawmill, which was dismantled from the Cannon Range field (Milmay) and rebuilt in anticipation of the West Jersey and Atlantic Railroad. Its footprint is now covered by a caboose display within the newly constructed (without Pinelands permits) “Sawmill Park.” Sketch from Jones (c.1888: 9, Richland New Jersey: 20,000 Acres of Farming Land.
S-M

Last edited:

buckykattnj

Scout
Feb 22, 2010
Atlantic County At-Large
SM, I also have long felt the 235-year age of the oak was pretty optimistic... and when I recently saw it was dead, I figured the activity at the park killed it.

I never got around to seeing the tree up close... about how large was its trunk?

I'm just curious how it compares to my yard's nicest white oak, which is considerably younger, but is IMHO is one of the nicest in BVT (though I may be biased) and is getting quite large.

BKNJ

Reactions: Spung-Man

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
SM, I also have long felt the 235-year age of the oak was pretty optimistic... .
BKNJ

• Mr. Riggin, NJ Certified Tree Expert #366, estimated the tree's age to be 135-year old in his report to the municipality.
  • Mr. Demitroff, NJ Certified Tree Expert #285 estimated the tree's age to be 175-year old in his communications to the municipality.
I suspect the true age to be somewhere between 135 (better soil) & 175 (poor soil). After the saw mill closed, the field became pasture for a local dairyman—Mr. Pfeifer; the pasture pastries would have enriched the soil for a time. Richland General Store warehoused their hay in the old saw mill until it burned down.

In OPRA-request I asked the municipality,

"Mr. Chiarello repeatedly claims the now-dead Richland Oak to be 235-years old.

Please provide under OPRA provisions a digital copy of the document that Mr. Chiarello is citing that accounts for the apparent discrepancy."​

Here is the municipality's response:

Region capture 5.png

Here is a link to some earlier thoughts on old trees:
S-M

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I used to pick up lunches for my coworkers at the deli across the street from that General Store and I used to pick up things from the store for work when they sent me,back when Archie and Antoinette had it.She worked with me as well.

Reactions: Spung-Man

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Archie (aka Junior) is gone, but I still see Antoinette in town. Their story is told in Legendary Locals of the Pine Barrens of New Jersey and in a lot of newspaper articles. The general store remains a treasure to locals.

In the redevelopment plan the institution has been envisioned as a "dollar" store...

Region capture 8.png
and here's the proposed "dollar store" surroundings:

Region capture 6.png
S-M

Reactions: manumuskin