RIP Dover Township

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Makes sense though. Ask most people that don't live in the area where Toms River is and they would know. Ask them where Dover Twp is and you may get a blank stare.

Steve

I guess I would have to agree.

If the majority votes for it than it has to be.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Anybody who lives around here and is not an idiot knows what Dover Township is.

Toms River, historically, does not include all of the land that Dover Twsp. includes. To all of the people who said they moved to Toms River, unless you're in the section of town south of Rt. 37 by the Courthouse, you're NOT in Toms River. And you never were.

In a way, the change is a shame. The community of Toms River was part of an elite but small group of New Jersey county seats not contained within an incorporated borough or town. The only other member of this small group is Mays Landing, an unincorporated community within Hamilton Township. Now this leaves only Mays Landing. Sorry to hear it!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Anybody who lives around here and is not an idiot knows what Dover Township is.

I agree with that but I think most people that do not live near there do not know that. I didn't.

To all of the people who said they moved to Toms River, unless you're in the section of town south of Rt. 37 by the Courthouse, you're NOT in Toms River. And you never were.

They are now. :D

Steve

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
To all of the people who said they moved to Toms River, unless you're in the section of town south of Rt. 37 by the Courthouse, you're NOT in Toms River. And you never were.

Ha! I can see those people looking at you right now with blank stares. Clueless.

omega

Explorer
I grew up in Toms River, er Dover Township, but most refer to it was Toms River, and given the census information, attracting businsses etc I think it makes sense.

Very few things in Dover, er Toms River are called Dover... a couple of elementary schools (West Dover alum here), the Police Department, township committee and.... um.... at the moment that's all I can think of. oh, Dover Pools.

years ago I reported on one of the attempted name changes, so it's not a new idea, far before the real influz of Bennies, Heck we moved there in 66 when my father was foreman of the DOT Toms River Garage...just about directly across Rt 37 from the West Dover elementary school(part of the Toms River Regional School District)

for all practical purposes it could be argued that Dover Township really never existed. :lol: