Riverview Beach Park

Oct 25, 2006
Talk about good memories, James U. posted a picture of Chatsworth Lake a few day's ago, and I got no work done after viewing it. I day dreamed about the many fine days I've spent on that lake. I think I need a canoe trip.

I used to fish there quite often in the early 80's, when i had my NJ fishing license while living in Delran, pulled some nice Pickerel out of there.

Jim

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Amazing pictures and drawings, Jerseyman. Thanks for this thread. I remember another thread where someone remarked on the suits and hats worn by some elderly gentlemen on an outing in the pines. I'm just as struck by the suit coats and bowler hats the people standing near the "Shoot the Chutes" ride are wearing, and it actually looks like the people in the boat that just exited the ramp are dressed the same.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I've fished Chatsworth a few times this year, but I waded. I hope to put a canoe on it this fall. I also like to fish Batsto and Harrisville.

Greg

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Surprizingly, I've never fished Oswego. When I'm there it was to canoe the Oswego river or to swim. I've gone there a few times this year, but just to take a coffee break at a nice spot while I'm out exploring.

Greg

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Huh???

Must be oletimers disease, but I can swear you've fished Oswego Lake before...yup, I believe I'm right, back in the 70's. Tom and I in one canoe, you and Pat in another.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Chatsworth Lake

I caught a 19", 3 lb pickerel ( a real sowbelly) on a Ultralight with 4lb test in the canal leading back to the bogs coming out of Chatsworth Lake, on the other side of the old RR bed. It was a miracle I landed that fish, with all the tree overhangs and shrub thickets lining the banks---if Tom wasn't there with a net, he would have been history. Happy to say, catch and release, too. I hope he's still back there, cruising for his next meal.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Must be oletimers disease, but I can swear you've fished Oswego Lake before...yup, I believe I'm right, back in the 70's. Tom and I in one canoe, you and Pat in another.

I think your right, my A.G.E. disease is getting worse:). I looked through some old pictures, and yes, I found some shots from around 1972 (35 years ago, wow!) that I think were at Oswego. You and Tom were in a canoe, and Pat and I were bank fishing. Of course, Pat and I probably outfished you guys, as usual (ha, ha). Good memories.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Uh-hum

Yeah, I think Pat caught a catfish and was laughing so hard he fell in and got in big trouble! You're probably right, outfished again! 1972. Hardly seems possible....Good memories.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Hey guys I realize is an old thread, but it's what had inspired me to do a story. It was in the works for months and took a week to write and put together. I gobbled up everything I could find. It's had over 1,000 views this far and just posted it on Friday. Please let me know your opinions and thoughts. I was trying to do the story justice. I know just a blog, but I have tremendous passion for South Jersey and our history.
http://yummygal.wordpress.com/2013/03/01/riverview-beach-amusement-park/

There's a video in comments a man created that you also have to check out.

Reactions: joc

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Very nicely done Pineywoman !

My father was born in North Camden in 1919 and lived there until the year before I was born. I remember him telling me about trips taken with his grandfather to Riverview Beach and Clementon Lake Park.

The postcard of the beach swimmers reminded me of him telling me that he would never swim in the Delaware as a kid in the 1920's because it was literally an open sewer. There was no sewage treatment in the 20's and all major cities along the river had their sewage piped directly into the river by combination storm/sanitary sewer piping.
The greatly improved water quality in the DR we see today took many years to achieve.

Many Thanks for the post, Jerseyman! My Dad and His kin hail from Pennsville. Dad (1933-2000) in his youth ran the "Guess your weight and age or you win" booth at Riverview, and previously ran a hot dog stand on the Boardwalk (at age 14) right next to Ed McMahon and his "Kitchen Magician" Chop-O-Matic. I have happy memories of boating off Smigelski Lane there at Grandma's by the river. Sadly it all silted up over the years and long ago sinced being a deep-water run. While I didn't get to see the rides at Riverview, I did see some of the old kiddie cars (disassembled) at some of dad's friends who got them on the cheap when the park closed. My father did take me on a tour of the current grounds and show me where the rides and such were, there were a lot of big carp in the "lake" when we visited. BTW, Pennsville was a VERY RACIST city, but as Dad always reminded me, "That ended with my generation, son". Luckily he bought a big piece of property in the 'Barrens so I got a "proper" upbringing with the squirrels and whitetails!

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
There used to be some of the old carts from one of the rides in front of a house on the Pole Tavern - Daretown Road. Edit: In fact, it was the old donkey ride pictured on yummgal's blog.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Very nicely done Pineywoman !

My father was born in North Camden in 1919 and lived there until the year before I was born. I remember him telling me about trips taken with his grandfather to Riverview Beach and Clementon Lake Park.

The postcard of the beach swimmers reminded me of him telling me that he would never swim in the Delaware as a kid in the 1920's because it was literally an open sewer. There was no sewage treatment in the 20's and all major cities along the river had their sewage piped directly into the river by combination storm/sanitary sewer piping.
The greatly improved water quality in the DR we see today took many years to achieve.
Thanks Red. I hope I see you at Pines!!

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
MarkBNJ in post #22 commented on people all dressed up and in hats.
My father and my Godfather went fly fishing in NY in the 20's and 30's in suits, vests, white shirts, ties, hip boots and sometimes with a cap. Gentlemen sportsman indeed.
I've pictures to prove my memories are correct.
Suspect that in those times people were far more "proper" and formal than later and now......
johnny b