Road Closure

Italianredneck

Dec 1, 2019
Hammonton
Hello everyone I’m a new member and I wanted to say that this road closure was like a kick in the teeth to me my family has hunted down this road since the early 1900’s I grew up in that spot. Every year it was like a family reunion we always took great care of the area we even had a bridge to cross the creek since the old road was too worn to drive across. So needless to say when my uncle and me went to go walk back there this past Friday it was closed I am so upset and more pi$$ed than I have ever been with this state. I know if I complain about it to the state it will fall on deaf ears but yet if I wanted to have an Enduro race or a Jeep jamboree that would be ok with them. Thank you for letting me vent.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
you are way off on the state supporting any motorized events without a massive push from the user group. This road was not closed because of motorized damage for the most part, it was closed as part of an agenda under the guise of protecting endangered plants.

Reactions: 1Jerseydevil

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Lodge your complaint in person with the superintendent of Wharton Rob Aurmueller. He is closing roads at his whim using his authority which he is able to do. This is not yet a State authorized closure known as MAP which is coming in the future. When implemented you will see many closed roads. As of now the closed roads in Wharton are due to Aurmueller. He'll listen then tell you his reasons so a complaint won't do any good, but the fact you're speaking up to the person responsible matters.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yesterday, I received a newsletter and request for contributions from the Pinelands Preservation Alliance. Within the newsletter there is some written material about ORV's. They make this position statement:

"Our position is not to eliminate driving in the Pines but protect sensitive habitats and species by keeping vehicles to the officially established sand roads"

Is there anyone on this forum knowledgeable about what they mean by "officially established roads"?

I really don't want to bash them at this point in time. It took them a long time to come this far. But I'm really curious to know what they mean by that definition.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They probably mean topo roads. In any event, it does seem they have changed their tune somewhat.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
They ought to say so, if so. And, that is not official yet?
It was part of a petition (it may have been posted here). It had the big trucks driving through wetlands in Lacey. I'm not sure if it is being used as an official map.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It was part of a petition (it may have been posted here). It had the big trucks driving through wetlands in Lacey. I'm not sure if it is being used as an official map.

:D Well, the trucks are here, that's for sure. But really, if they'd just say exactly what set of maps they mean in their literature, and if I agree with them, I might feel more inclined to donate again (however meager the amount may be).

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
It's pretty close to the term used in the State Park Service Code: "Established public roads". As in, you - a licensed driver - can drive a registered vehicle on any established public road, except when posted otherwise. (NJAC 7:2-3.4.)

They don't define that, so I made up my own definition... Established = someone built the road, for the purpose of driving on. "Public" is probably redundant, because this only covers "lands under the jurisdiction of the State Park Service".

Reactions: bobpbx

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
"officially established road" The FFS when establishing firebreaks often terminate them onto newly established roads so the equipment can access or is waiting. The FFS is an official entity. The moment a road is made it's established, no? So I interpret this as an officially established road, no?