Road Conditions

Jim_H

Scout
May 23, 2024
Medford
Didn't see anything like this so I am starting a thread. Please merge with an existing thread for roads if it exists.

I have returned to NJ after nearly 20 years and a lot has changed. The off road issue wasn't something I remember in the late 1990s or early 2000s. Back then, I took my 1991 Buick and later my 2003 Civic on many roads and never had issues. I was never stuck, and typically just went around or through the mud holes without issue. The worst I ever had with getting stuck was the tracks at high crossing, which were removed in late 1998 or early 1999. Yesterday, while on a 22 mile botched hike involving the Penn Branch Trail and the Sandy Ridge-Tulpehocken "trail", I found many of the roads I encountered to be rutted and possibly impassible for my outback, at least they could be if I hit a rutted mud hole wrong.

I have concerns about the road quality and am hoping people might be able to update road conditions. At this time, I am seeking to travel from Atsion to Quaker Bridge, and beyond perhaps to either Mount or Washington, and either return via 563 through Chatsworth, or the Basto- Washington Road and 542. What is the road quality like? Are there a lot of mud holes with deep ruts, or is this road well maintained similar to what I walked while on the Tuckerton Rd?

I am most interested or concerned with the road between Atsion and the area just east of Quaker Bridge, as I would like to explore the burned area east of the Basto River, and south of access road. Also, for locals, does anyone know anything about the fire frequency of that area since the larger hot growing season fire that occurred around 2017? It looked like a second fire has occurred in that area since, perhaps in '22 or '23.

I attached a map with Quaker Bridge at upper left and Mount marked with a yellow weigh-point.

Thanks.

Jim

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 17-45-35 MapDEX Map - Find & plan hikes.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 17-45-35 MapDEX Map - Find & plan hikes.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Didn't see anything like this so I am starting a thread. Please merge with an existing thread for roads if it exists.

I have returned to NJ after nearly 20 years and a lot has changed. The off road issue wasn't something I remember in the late 1990s or early 2000s. Back then, I took my 1991 Buick and later my 2003 Civic on many roads and never had issues. I was never stuck, and typically just went around or through the mud holes without issue. The worst I ever had with getting stuck was the tracks at high crossing, which were removed in late 1998 or early 1999. Yesterday, while on a 22 mile botched hike involving the Penn Branch Trail and the Sandy Ridge-Tulpehocken "trail", I found many of the roads I encountered to be rutted and possibly impassible for my outback, at least they could be if I hit a rutted mud hole wrong.

I have concerns about the road quality and am hoping people might be able to update road conditions. At this time, I am seeking to travel from Atsion to Quaker Bridge, and beyond perhaps to either Mount or Washington, and either return via 563 through Chatsworth, or the Basto- Washington Road and 542. What is the road quality like? Are there a lot of mud holes with deep ruts, or is this road well maintained similar to what I walked while on the Tuckerton Rd?

I am most interested or concerned with the road between Atsion and the area just east of Quaker Bridge, as I would like to explore the burned area east of the Basto River, and south of access road. Also, for locals, does anyone know anything about the fire frequency of that area since the larger hot growing season fire that occurred around 2017? It looked like a second fire has occurred in that area since, perhaps in '22 or '23.

I attached a map with Quaker Bridge at upper left and Mount marked with a yellow weigh-point.

Thanks.

Jim
Like you said that burn area that you are talking about burnt hard around 2017. And it did burn again in June of 2022 when the Mullica River Fire took off from Locks Bridge area.
As far as the roads. I haven’t been out that way lately but before this wet winter you easily make it down Quaker Bridge Road all the way with an Outback. That road was repaired very well in 2022. After having several very wet storms over this winter the water table was very high and there was puddles in areas that I haven’t seen in years. I’m sure the water receded but there still may be some puddles left. As far as taking the road to Mount. That road is very tight and has many large puddles. It would be difficult in an Outback.

Reactions: Jim_H

Jim_H

Scout
May 23, 2024
Medford
Like you said that burn area that you are talking about burnt hard around 2017. And it did burn again in June of 2022 when the Mullica River Fire took off from Locks Bridge area.
As far as the roads. I haven’t been out that way lately but before this wet winter you easily make it down Quaker Bridge Road all the way with an Outback. That road was repaired very well in 2022. After having several very wet storms over this winter the water table was very high and there was puddles in areas that I haven’t seen in years. I’m sure the water receded but there still may be some puddles left. As far as taking the road to Mount. That road is very tight and has many large puddles. It would be difficult in an Outback.
Thanks, I can probably drive to Quaker Bridge and walk from wherever I encounter difficulties. Driving to Mount is not really a priority.

Thanks for the information about the burn area. It looks really great out there. Any chance you know of any places to find maps for these fire perimeters? This was the best one I found.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 21-34-05 Mullica River Fire map - Wildfire Today.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 21-34-05 Mullica River Fire map - Wildfire Today.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Remember the drought in 2022? By September, every water hole for miles was dry, but if you had a clay bottom, it would hold water for months and months, like this one in that drought. Can anyone guess where this shot is? It's held water for so long that wetland plants are taking advantage of it.
1716513333293.jpeg

Jim_H

Scout
May 23, 2024
Medford
Remember the drought in 2022? By September, every water hole for miles was dry, but if you had a clay bottom, it would hold water for months and months, like this one in that drought. Can anyone guess where this shot is? It's held water for so long that wetland plants are taking advantage of it.
View attachment 22798
Are you implying this is the Atsion-Quaker Bridge Road?

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Thanks, I can probably drive to Quaker Bridge and walk from wherever I encounter difficulties. Driving to Mount is not really a priority.

Thanks for the information about the burn area. It looks really great out there. Any chance you know of any places to find maps for these fire perimeters?

IMG_0750.jpeg

Reactions: Jim_H

Jim_H

Scout
May 23, 2024
Medford
FYI, I drove from Atsion to Quaker Bridge yesterday and the road is in excellent shape.

Thought I heard Hermit Thrushes, but I guess it was the Wood Thrush.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
FYI, I drove from Atsion to Quaker Bridge yesterday and the road is in excellent shape.

Thought I heard Hermit Thrushes, but I guess it was the Wood Thrush.

You should have been on it a month ago. It was terrible. When the kayak season started it was graded.

Reactions: TommyP

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
It's been a year, but I used to take Atsion to Quake Bridge, and then Goodwater Road all the way to Washington Turnpike, where you have many options to get to Chatsworth, like Iron Pipe road. The roads to Mount from QB were often very narrow and washed out. I made it once in a Subaru with 10" clearance but I had to back out near Penn Swamp a few times. Like everyone said, bring a stick, use the go-arounds, and be safe.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
It's been a year, but I used to take Atsion to Quake Bridge, and then Goodwater Road all the way to Washington Turnpike, where you have many options to get to Chatsworth, like Iron Pipe road. The roads to Mount from QB were often very narrow and washed out. I made it once in a Subaru with 10" clearance but I had to back out near Penn Swamp a few times. Like everyone said, bring a stick, use the go-arounds, and be safe.
Another hint is if you see tire tracks go in at one spot and the same tracks come out at another spot it's a good bet thats a good route especially if they appear to be normal tires not Godzilla Mud tires. Still worth checking that route from Track to track with a stick and rubber boots

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
This past weekend we finally found some time to go out. We went down QBR from Atsion to Washington Turnpike. With the exception of soft sand in the typical spots, it was easily passable. I don’t even think I got the tires wet.