Rockwood Road Walk

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We decided to walk Rockwood Road from the ruins on since we have not been there in years. Along the way we passed by where a Wharton monument for Rockwood's property failed to show itself to us in years past. Today, after the fire it was so much easier to find.

DSC_4765a.jpg

DSC_4768a.jpg

DSC_4767a.jpg

A little sandy in some spots as it aways was in this area.

DSC_4803a.jpg

We visited a really nice spot where the fire was at it's fury for sure.

DSC_4799a.jpg

In the middle of this location the snakes are still visiting.

DSC_4798a.jpg

We were near the ore pits Bob and I found years ago so we made good use of the burned woods to easily travel to them.

DSC_4794a.jpg

I was wondering why this was here so far back in the woods. I suspect since this road goes right to West Mill road and the gate, it was decided to try and keep people from traveling the road.

DSC_4802a.jpg

The view along the road is really nice.

DSC_4792a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here they are. I left them full size. You may want to download them.

Attachments

• snake1.jpg
    snake1.jpg
    742.3 KB · Views: 88
  • snake2.jpg
    snake2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 90

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica saw this bee today. It had dug a huge sand pile but there seemed to be something wrong with it. It just kept moving but not going anywhere.

DSC_4785a.jpg

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Dragon and all,

We went to a different area today and we came upon these as well. Looks like someone is working the area. And they have a good spot. We walked almost 4 miles and covered quite a bit of one area.

DSC_4818a.jpg

Closer view for Dragon.

DSC_4817a.jpg

And we also found this.

DSC_4804a.jpg

And on the way out we revisited the Rockwood 1888 (CGR 1888) stone to see if it was still there. Back in 2007 there was a dim road right at the edge of it that at times was used. I know it was walkable because I know for a fact the superintendent walked it with a GPS to create his route for the MAP. Today, it is barely visible so that is good for the stones future.

My "Then And Now" for the stone.

CGR 1888 Stone.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Today we visited other locations in the burn area. Our first stop was near Lock's Bridge to look again for rattlesnake root. We did not find it. However, we did run into campers there who appeared to be packing up. That was a risky move with the recent fire that started nearby. BTW, you can see the location the fire started as it is taped off by the Fire Marshal right along Batsto Fireline Road.

Anyway, we walked to the Burlington County monument #62 and revisited it and checked for the date which is on it.

DSC_4826a.jpg

DSC_4827a.jpg

We then walked to a location where Xyris Caroliniana grows. This is a particularly rare xyrus that Bob discovered there. While heading there and almost at the location, we today found a patch of xyris that may interest Bob. It is growing where it seems to me it should not be.

DSC_4837a.jpg

I took a few photos at both locations even though I am not sure if it is the proper xyris.

DSC_4833a.jpg

DSC_4829a.jpg

While at the location Bob found the xyris Jessica yelled out she found an odd plant there and it appears to be Jimsonweed. It matches perfectly to photos on Google except the galls are missing. Can anyone tell me if I am correct? This plant is one you should not touch and should not be where it is.

DSC_4839a.jpg

DSC_4838a.jpg

Unfortuantly, it is injured and will not survive.

DSC_4845a.jpg

I can't tell if this fell from a tree or was left there for the summer. I am going to guess it was left there because of the size of the trees all around there.

DSC_4862a.jpg

Everywhere at this location.

DSC_4856a.jpg

DSC_4854a.jpg

DSC_4847a.jpg

And a final view.

DSC_4858a.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_4858a.jpg
    DSC_4858a.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_4839a.jpg
    DSC_4839a.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I know why that Jimson weed (if that's what it is) is there. It must have been a bait pile.

I just checked, that's what it must be. The fruit capsules are not ready yet. After the flower.

Reactions: NJChileHead

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I know why that Jimson weed (if that's what it is) is there. It must have been a bait pile.

I just checked, that's what it must be. The fruit capsules are not ready yet. After the flower.
I suspect you are correct. A stand was right near there.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I suspect you are correct. A stand was right near there.

I teach a high school toxicology course with a poisonous plants unit and the students are always horrified at the stories of what jimsonweed can do (and has done) to people. We've even found it on campus, usually it seems to show up in topsoil or a highly disturbed area. I wonder if it the seeds will drop into the bait pile and still be recoverable by the deer if they get into it? Not sure if jimsonweed would have the same effect on deer, but hallucinating ungulates would make quite a sight on a trail cam. Reminds me of this:

• Haha
Reactions: pinelandpaddler

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Dragon, I'm struggling to see keels on the scales and can't get a count on the body rows or caudal scales. I'm wondering why corn and not black rat, since black rats have weaker keels? Are you looking at the head scales?

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I could see the Os you typically see on corns snakes. Seen several hundred shed corns over years but also know the spot Guy was at and know they are there. So a bit of piecing it together.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was driving down Carranza Road today between 206 and Tabernacle and saw it growing on a property.

Reactions: manumuskin