Ruins found near Bodine Field....

TrailOtter

Explorer
Nov 24, 2007
Martha Furnace Diary

I notice this thread is kinda old and well, I'm new round these parts so not sure if the interest is still out there but I found the Martha Furnace Diary online - goes from 1808-1815. Just did a quick scan of a few pages and it's rather interesting, if you're into that sort of thing - tells you about people who worked there, people who got hurt and how - where they collected ore, where they were going and coming from.....

It mentions a stamping mill...a blacksmith shop...saw mill (I'm thinking Batsto for this one)

Mentions a place called Sasafrass - anyone ever hear of it??

Here's the link for the diary:
http://www.njpinelandsanddownjersey.com/open/index.php?module=documents&JAS_DocumentManager_op=categories&category=112

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Hooker

Careful! You're about to get hooked on the pines. :D

So very true!!!! I was always into the natural beauty of the Pines but, one day while playing hookey from work, I stumbled across Harrisville Lake and some foundations or holes from foundations. The hook was set!

Another good book: Ghost Towns and Other Quirkey Places in the New Jersey Pine Barrens by Barbara Solem-Stull. This is a very handy book, especially for someone just getting hooked on the Pines. It has pics, maps and drawings to go along with directions and brief histories of the sites.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and when I emailed the author with a few questions, she emailed me back the same day. Now that's what I call service!