ruins near Mt. Misery Road

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
About 10 to 12 years ago, I came across some ruins off of Mt. Misery road that I don't think I've discussed on this site. It had been a while since I visited the area so today, along with my little guy Jack, I went there and took some photos.

the area is characterized by numerous mature white pine. Their crispy, fresh scent is in sharp contrast to the sweet smell of the pitch pine.

watermark.php

this celler hole is seated on top of a rise. The topography drops considerably down to a cedar swamp behind it.

watermark.php

the area is very open around the celler holes with a carpet of white pine needles.

watermark.php

This former walls (?) are brick covered in concrete.

watermark.php

This might be remains, or just dumped later.

watermark.php

this is another celler hole. It actually appears as two celler holes adjacent to each other.

watermark.php

While there are spungs nearby, they do not appear to have been cultivated for cranberry use. I am not sure what these ruins are of. Possibly a long lost homestead. They appear on a rise adjacent to a large cedar swamp so maybe it was once a saw mill operation. 1930 photos show little in the area except less vegetation.

Jack is a tea berry maniac. We pick them at the house and I showed him how to crush and smell them. He was quick to find tea berry nearby.

watermark.php

This piece of a terra cotta pipe was probably manufactured in nearby Pasadena.

watermark.php

BTW: these are not the ruins right by the intersection of Mt. Misery road and Pasadena road. they are further up mount Misery and back in the woods.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Wow, Jack is getting big!

Nice find. With the holes nearby it certainly seems to me it may be a sawmill operation. Any bolts?

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Nice pics Jeff.
I taught my boys to id teaberry, reindeer moss, huckleberries and wild cherries when they were his age.
They grow fast. Enjoy every minute.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
the area is characterized by numerous mature white pine. Their crispy, fresh scent is in sharp contrast to the sweet smell of the pitch pine.

Besides the interesting cellar holes, nice comment on the pines' scent. I'm not a musician like you, Jeff, but when the wind's rising, I like to hear the white pines sing.

Glo

Jeff, the site of your inquiry is the location of a very old saw mill on the old Lebanon in the headwaters of South Branch of Mt. Misery Brook. The adjacent swamp appears to have been logged off in the late 1920s early 30s. The large white pines on the upland portion and the large diameter cedars in the swamp attest to the sites longevity. As I recall, the adjoining corridor further downstream toward Butler Place Road was harvested in more recent years. It is possible that the mill site was once owned by Arthur Reeves, who was a large land owner in the surrounding vicinity

Reactions: Ben Ruset

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Jeff, the site of your inquiry is the location of a very old saw mill on the old Lebanon in the headwaters of South Branch of Mt. Misery Brook. The adjacent swamp appears to have been logged off in the late 1920s early 30s. The large white pines on the upland portion and the large diameter cedars in the swamp attest to the sites longevity. As I recall, the adjoining corridor further downstream toward Butler Place Road was harvested in more recent years. It is possible that the mill site was once owned by Arthur Reeves, who was a large land owner in the surrounding vicinity

thanks for the info, i have been wondering about this for sometime.