Russ Anderson Road

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Russ Anderson Road runs north off 532/Chatsworth-Tabernacle Rd west of Chatsworth Lake. Who was Russ Anderson? Why is this piece of the road named for him?

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
There was a Jim Anderson Road that went through Wells Mills Park, headed in the general direction of Chatsworth. I wonder if there is a connection between the two.

Last edited:

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I was referring to the two roads but I guess there could be a connection between there two names as well. Elizabeth Morgan had found the reference to the Jim Anderson Road in an old article in the Batsto Citizens Gazette and gave me a copy. It gave the destination of the road, which I can't recall. I'll see if I can dig it up Monday.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I found the reference mentioned above. It did not provide the information on the road's endpoints that I had hoped. Perhaps I was thinking of another source. This one was in the Fall/Winter of 1967 issue of the Batsto Citizens Gazette. The article's title is At Cedar Bridge in 1848. In one portion of the article, the author, Watson Buck, cites entries in The Cedar Bridge Record Book, in which a Judge Joshua Burr made the following entry:

"Nov. 20th 1850, arrived at cedar bridge in the evening with three horses and five dogs. Sent Jim Wildermouth on my indian poney to engage Samuel Taylor for a three days hunt, I, at the same time engaging honest Joe Giberson in the place of Moses during the hunt. First moved for Wells Mills and Jim Andersons' Road."

Burr then goes on to describe the hunt in detail, making no further mention of the Anderson Road. A note in the margin made by Elizabeth Morgan on my photocopy states that the Moses mentioned by Burr is Moses Headley, according to Jack Cervetto.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Burr then goes on to describe the hunt in detail, making no further mention of the Anderson Road. A note in the margin made by Elizabeth Morgan on my photocopy states that the Moses mentioned by Burr is Moses Headley, according to Jack Cervetto.

Love to read the rest of the Hunt. If too difficult to show, I understand.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Love to read the rest of the Hunt. If too difficult to show, I understand.

It's a bit longer than the excerpt above and I'm a hunt and peck typist (I was very proud of myself when I finally went from one to two fingers! :)) . I can scan and post the image of the article as long as it's not violating any forum rules. Could take a few days though. I only have a scanner at work and I'll be out of the office for several days.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I can scan and post the image of the article as long as it's not violating any forum rules.

If the article appeared in a copyrighted publication, be sure to get permission. :) A few years ago someone scanned an article from a 20 year old newspaper that no longer exists. But another company now owns the rights and threatened Ben with legal action.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe I have that article and can post it tonight. The Gazette gives permission to use anything as long as they are mentioned.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here it is. It mentions in the Batsto Citizens Gazette that their work can be used as long as they are given credit. This is from the Batsto Citizen Gazette.

Batsto_Gazette.jpg

The author (Watson Buck) collected anything he could find in or about the pine barrens. When he died there was a massive sale of his items which I believe took three days to complete. Some members of this site acquired a few items at that sale. I will try and find that article also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It actually says anyone is invited to "Quote" from the publication as long as credit is given. I have posted before and never had a problem. I always had Janet Worrell to consult but she recently past away.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The Batsto Citizens Gazette is available in hardcopy from March 1966 (vol. 1 no. 1) to Summer 1997 (vol. 31 no. 2). The Gazette is owned by the following libraries: Burlington County Library Headquarters in Westampton, NJ the Pinelands Branch Library in Medford, NJ, and the Bass River Community Library in New Gretna. Research and photocopies will be done upon request for a fee. Please contact the BCLS Reference department, or the Medford Library for further information.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks Guy, very interesting. I'll bet they were able to use horses for hunting in Greenwood Forest because of the charcoaling being done for New Brunswick homes just 20 years earlier. Colliers took over 220,000 bushels of charcoal out of those woods from 1828 through 1829.