salisbury farm

stizkidz:

Salisbury Farm, which takes its name from Henry Salisbury, the owner of the property during the 1930s, is listed in the State and National Register of Historic Places under Criterion D, which relates to prehistoric/precontact archaeological potential. Hence, you will find very little information about this site because it is a protected archaeological property. The state listed the farm in its register during April 1976, likely as a result of roadway construction in conjunction with the Commodore Barry Bridge. The National Park Service entered the site into the National Register in March 1979.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: glowordz

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Interesting, as the Grand Sprute is not on the list yet it also has significance with early settlers/native inhabitants. It is also only just up the road, basically on the same creek.

Interesting, as the Grand Sprute is not on the list yet it also has significance with early settlers/native inhabitants. It is also only just up the road, basically on the same creek.

stizkidz:

In the professional realm of Cultural Resource Management, it is the use of federal funds that triggers the identification and evaluation of historic/prehistoric resources that could be potentially eligible for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). Working under the prescripts of Section 106 in the NHPA (National Historic Preservation Act), 1966, et. seq., and the requirements of NEPA (the National Environmental Policy Act), architectural historians, historians, and archaeologists are charged with examining a given project’s impact and potential adverse effects on cultural resources as a required section of a larger Environmental Impact Statement for the project. Archaeological sites, in particular, are usually determined eligible and/or listed in the NRHP due to a Section 106 process undertaking.

If a known nearby site is not listed or evaluated for listing in the NRHP, it is primarily because its continued existence is not under imminent threat from a project involving Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) funding. That is not to say that individuals and private groups could not nominate a site or structure to the NRHP on their own. I am currently preparing two National Register nominations for disparate groups. Perhaps the Gloucester County Chapter of the Archaeological Society of New Jersey would be interested in preparing a NR nomination for the Grand Sprute site. As I recall, they meet monthly at the West Deptford Library. Maybe you should attend a meeting and see what the group is currently doing.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
"I am currently preparing two National Register nominations for disparate groups".
Is one of these the Paul House? I know an archaeological survey recently turned up a fairly significant amount of evidence. The rehab work going on there seems to have stopped suddenly soon after the press announcement.

"I am currently preparing two National Register nominations for disparate groups".
Is one of these the Paul House? I know an archaeological survey recently turned up a fairly significant amount of evidence. The rehab work going on there seems to have stopped suddenly soon after the press announcement.

No, I wish I was working on the Paul House, but both of my NR nomination properties are located up in Burlington County.

Best regards,
Jerseyman