Saucy Hunters

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Fifty and more years ago, when I was a lad, about this time of year, but before upland game season began, we hunters hunted "sauce" in The Pines. The bog owners had already flooded their bogs and taken their harvest, but there were always plenty of berries along the edges of the bogs to be had. Like most Pineys, my Pop had an old, wooden cranberry scoop (like the one on the wall at Lucille's), and we'd scoop up enough berries to fill a big, paper, shopping bag. Upon arriving home, Mom and Pop would cull and clean the berries, and put them up in one--pound, plastic bags, which were then placed in our big, chest--type freezer, which always contained an ample supply of game.

On occasion, Mom would take one of those bags of berries out of the freezer, cook them up with sugar, some spices and orange, to make cranberry relish...

Reading a recent article in the Press of Atlantic City, I was surprised to learn that New Jersey only ranked third in cranberry production in the US...

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/business/national/story/3424457p-12571644c.html

Evidently, the Joseph J. White Inc. cranberry farm in Shamong Twp. is close to "...Whitesbog, a still-inhabited village built in the 19th century that once served as a sort-of company town for farm employees before automation reduced the number of workers needed."

From the context of the article, it would seem that the the Joseph J. White Inc. cranberry farm in Shamong Twp. is part of the Ocean Spray cooperative...

Does anyone know if Whitesbog was named for the the Joseph J. White Inc. cranberry farm in Shamong Twp., and does anyone on list know what other bogs/bog owners belonged to the Ocean Spray cooperative??

ebsi

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The Haines and Lee farms are part of the Ocean Spray Co-Op. I don't know what the Lee farms are named, but the Haines own Hog Wallow and Sim Place.

There are also farms in S. America that are part of Ocean Spray now.

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
The Haines and Lee farms are part of the Ocean Spray Co-Op. I don't know what the Lee farms are named, but the Haines own Hog Wallow and Sim Place.

There are also farms in S. America that are part of Ocean Spray now.

Ben,

Do you know if Garfield DeMarco belonged to the Co--Op, too?

ebsi