Save Batsto Mansion!

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
http://www.nbc40.net/pages/videoplayer/video.php?vid=6972

Well, it appears that certain clowns in our State government are considering converting the oldest part of the mansion into office space for State employees. They are also considering paving a parking lot right next to the Mansion. This disgraceful plan may come as a surprise even to those of us who are well aware of the lack of concern for this State's history on part of the State officials who are supposed to be preserving historic places such as the Batsto Mansion.

I received the following letter via email:

Please help!

Batsto Mansion and all of Batsto Village are cherished historic sites and are listed on both the state and national registers of historic places.

The mansion, which dates to 1784, is the focal point of the village for visitors, students and historians. The state of New Jersey is currently expending over two million dollars of taxpayer monies to restore and stabilize the structure for future generations. As the project comes to a close, it has been revealed that the State Park Service, under the direction of the NJ Department of Environmental Protection, is planning to vacate its current office structure and commandeer approximately one third of the mansion for office space.

This is not only contrary to state and federal register of historic site guidelines; it will deprive the public the opportunity to experience the oldest part of the mansion. This area, today known as the caretakers’ or servants’ wing, is critical to the historic interpretation of the early settlers of Batsto and to the later servant class, a group primarily composed of hard working immigrants who provided the ancestral foundation for many of us who enjoy the privileges of life in this state and country today.

The State Park Service also intends to construct a parking lot adjacent to the mansion. This move is beyond comprehension and demonstrates a complete disregard of historic stewardship. The proposed parking lot is planned to eliminate the need for staff to walk several hundred feet from the large and underutilized parking lot already in place at the visitor’s center!

As one of the many dedicated Batsto volunteers has written:

“People come to Batsto for its peace and quiet and to learn about its history. Offices for 6 people, who would be accepting multiple deliveries from UPS daily, having frequent meetings, meaning more people and more cars, phones ringing, faxes making modern sounds and so on, have no place in this historic site. Business should be conducted in a business setting and history should be taught at a historic site.”

Volunteers have appealed directly to Superintendent Thomas Keck (Regional) and Superintendent Robert Auermuller ( Wharton State Forest) and have been unable to get any credible or rational explanations regarding the necessity to compromise the integrity of this important site. They argue that the portion of the mansion in question has been used for offices in the past. That is true: for the site historian for purposes of directing volunteers and conducting mansion tours. One person, one phone, one desk; not an “office building” for six or more employees.

Please consider lending your support to help stop this misuse that will compromise the restoration efforts that were provided in good faith by the tax payers of New Jersey

If you go here http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/ you can find your State legislators and then contact them about this. Give 'em hell!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am sure Joseph Truncer who was instrumental in preserving the mansion when the state purchased it would turn over in his grave if he heard this. Many people over the years have worked hard to preserve and protect it, and this is a slap in the face to them and all resident of this state who have an interest in keeping Batsto the way it is. I will be using that link and I hope others will also.

Guy

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
This state will never cease to amaze me.

I do know that the caretakers side has had offices in the past. There were three employees up there at one time. When I say office though, I mean someone put three desks up there, a bookcase and that's about it. It was never really finished off. The caretakers side was in really bad shape, hopefully it has been fixed. The parking lot idea is a complete joke.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Just to toss a little nugget of Devil's advocacy out there... can we agree that there is nothing wrong with the state occupying an historic structure for office work? They already occupy many such, and I think anyone who crawls around the state looking at old buildings would attest that the best way to preserve one is to continue to give it a useful role. So, if the parking lot idea was removed or sufficiently modified, and constraints on the state's use of the mansion were sufficient to preserve it in all of its historic originality, would everyone still be opposed?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Mark,

I think a big part of it is that there is the gigantic visitors center right next to the parking lot that they could use. There's also a number of other buildings in Batsto that they could be in -- the store/post office springs to mind, as well as the workers housing at the other end of the village.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Can you give us an idea of what that situation might look like?

I'm not an expert on it, but I think we can agree that many of the buildings the state already inhabits are historic, and they must have guidelines regarding what can and can't be changed. Heck, some private buildings in our town can't be changed because they are listed. My basic point is that using the mansion as office space doesn't necessarily have to mean destroying its historical integrity, and as I said earlier, I'm adamant on the point that buildings survive when they are used. Certainly some find uses as purely historical artifacts, and perhaps that is the right role for the mansion, but I would want to see the state's plans before making a judgement.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Just to toss a little nugget of Devil's advocacy out there... can we agree that there is nothing wrong with the state occupying an historic structure for office work? They already occupy many such, and I think anyone who crawls around the state looking at old buildings would attest that the best way to preserve one is to continue to give it a useful role. So, if the parking lot idea was removed or sufficiently modified, and constraints on the state's use of the mansion were sufficient to preserve it in all of its historic originality, would everyone still be opposed?

Right on target. Many historic structures are in use by the state, in our parks, in Trenton and other places. All of the buildings at IBSP are used by the state for one purpose or another. Both of the historic lighthouses are in used by the state; station #110 was restored and is used as the maintenance building with no public access and #112 was recently restored, and not to historic standards, for use as office and education space. The lifeboat garage at 112 is used as a visitor center. Buildings were built to be used, and used wisely whle maintaining the historic significance and in the publics interest, I see no problem with it. As far as a new parking lot, as long as it is outside of the 'village' proper, it would allow additional parking for visitors in the main lot adjacent to the visitor center.

But the real question should be, why do they need the space? There is a hiring freeze on, the state is looking to cut spending , so why incur expense for more office space and parking? If it is just to move the regional office, then what financial beneifit is that to the state and taxpayers? If that is the reason, I would be interested in knowing what would become of the regional office facilities if they were to be vacated and how it would offset any costs of expansion.

schaalb

Aug 27, 2007
It gets worse at Batsto

It's understood that some historic structures contain state offices. However, this plan just does not make sense. Aside from the historic loss, which includes the lack of ability to recreate the servants quarters and add the oldest part of the mansion to public tours, this plan, which the state tried to execute in the dark of night, is allegedly intended to "save money."

I wanted to see how much money was involved to install the offices so I did an OPRA record request. I really didn't expect to get anything back but I did and I almost fell on the floor when I saw the bottom line.

The State Park Service estimate to convert the caretakers wing into six offices totals, are you ready? $229,765.00 and this does not include the proposed parking lot. This includes over $128,000 for "carpet and linoleum." Wow, congratulations to the the winner of that contract! Anyone want to buy a screwdriver for the Pentagon?

Is this the same State Park Service that can't keep the parks open due to lack of money? The same one that goes begging to volunteers and organizations to fund seasonal positions or visitor programs due to lack of state funds? The same one that plans to vacate a perfectly good building that will still require state maintainance as it too is located in Wharton State Forest? Where is this money coming from?

And you'll really love the diva like position of the State Park Service regarding the proposed parking lot (complete with typos):

"If the present parking lot (Batsto Visitor Center) is utliized for the Regional Office the following should be considered. From the parkling lot the Batsto Mansion is 550'. Presently 225' is a concrete walkway and 325' consists of a dirt road. During inclement weather this does not seem reasonable and is potentially unsafe."

So, after 50 years of state ownership, it is suddenly unsafe to walk 550' from the parking lot to the mansion. It's more a case that state employees don't want to walk to the mansion from the parking lot. They would rather their park vehicles in an area that's on the Sate and Federal Registers of Historic Places. Disgusting.

And, in this time of state fiscal instability, the current Wharton Superintenent is dismissing volunteers who speak out against this plan and initmidating others; that they will be "separated" if they do likewise.

And, the on site historian, who happens to have a Ph.D. in history, was removed from Batsto for a disagreement with the Superintendent and re-assigned, at full salary, to a state park that has no historic buildings!

I could go on...just do what you can to help stop this. Make phone calls, ask questions, write letters. Our little group is getting worn down and we need help to raise public awareness of these Soprano State tactics.

pineyrunner

Nov 21, 2008
Saving Batsto Mansion

Not only will offices in the mansion deny the public the chance to view the servants' quarters, but offices for 6 people, who have frequent meetings with others, multiple daily mail and UPS deliveries, phones, faxes, computers: what does this have to do with interpreting the history of a site few New Jersey residents know about? Besides, with layoffs and moves, there is office space available for these people in the visitor's center or the Green Bank Maintenance Shop, which is virtually empty. This would SAVE the taxpayers of NJ more than $229,000, which maybe could be spent on offering better programs to visitors to attract them to Batsto and Atsion.
What about bringing back the animals, the crafters, the horse and carriage rides?! People can't afford to travel for expensive vacations these days; Batsto can bring in revenue to the state and teach visitors from all over about the importance of South Jersey in the development of the nation.
Just as an aside, the state so little values its volunteers that one was fired for protesting this idea of putting offices in the mansion. Incredible! Especially since the story is that Atsion and Batsto mansions can't be open on a regular basis because of staff shortages. There were plenty of volunteers who were ready, eager and happy to give tours. There aren't quite so many now!
Please contact your local legislators and tell them to KEEP OFFICES OUT OF BATSTO MANSION. Since when do state staff need to park themselves in a mansion?

Windsor

Scout
Aug 11, 2005
Somerdale

Not only will offices in the mansion deny the public the chance to view the servants' quarters, but offices for 6 people, who have frequent meetings with others, multiple daily mail and UPS deliveries, phones, faxes, computers: what does this have to do with interpreting the history of a site few New Jersey residents know about? Besides, with layoffs and moves, there is office space available for these people in the visitor's center or the Green Bank Maintenance Shop, which is virtually empty. This would SAVE the taxpayers of NJ more than $229,000, which maybe could be spent on offering better programs to visitors to attract them to Batsto and Atsion.
What about bringing back the animals, the crafters, the horse and carriage rides?! People can't afford to travel for expensive vacations these days; Batsto can bring in revenue to the state and teach visitors from all over about the importance of South Jersey in the development of the nation.
Just as an aside, the state so little values its volunteers that one was fired for protesting this idea of putting offices in the mansion. Incredible! Especially since the story is that Atsion and Batsto mansions can't be open on a regular basis because of staff shortages. There were plenty of volunteers who were ready, eager and happy to give tours. There aren't quite so many now!
Please contact your local legislators and tell them to KEEP OFFICES OUT OF BATSTO MANSION. Since when do state staff need to park themselves in a mansion?

Very well said. NJ's government has failed for as long as I can remember, but this is just the icing on the cake.