Saving a 300-year-old tree

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I fell out of that tree and landed on my back.

Bob in tree

beech.JPG

Note Bob left :)

Everyone who had a hand in cutting down this big tree deserves an
ass-kicking straight from God.

You too Reverend. If this tree was not a gift of God’s grace then what is? Curses on all of you. I hope you get bonked in the head by a huge branch.

This was 6/4/2005

Greg likes this!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That tree was huge! The photo does not really show it well.

I was on the branch like Bob but right in the middle of the photo. I was upright and suddenly started to spin around. I did my best to hold on but the momentum of spinning around the branch was more than I could handle and I kept right on moving downward to the ground. I was sure I had broke my back.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I fell out of that tree and landed on my back.

Bob in tree

beech.JPG

Note Bob left :)

Everyone who had a hand in cutting down this big tree deserves an
ass-kicking straight from God.

You too Reverend. If this tree was not a gift of God’s grace then what is? Curses on all of you. I hope you get bonked in the head by a huge branch.

This was 6/4/2005

Ed likes this!!!!

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A nice article Spung-man! And a nice historical input from historian Paul Schopp. :dance:

Guy

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
The community response has been wonderful. I've had more feedback from this issue than almost any other. People really treasure their trees. Beverly Nicholson, who early on recognized specimen's significance just sent a beautiful "Aura Oak"card and a jar of the most delicious South Jersey/Pine Barrens honey. Her daughter Connie took the cover photo. A poem can be found in the link below.

IMG_1469.jpg

The ancient oak has since been used a symbol of hope in a young woman's courageous battle with cancer:

Little Lisa Lollipop
Spung-Man​