Savoy Blvd happenings....

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
driving home on savoy this afternoon I noticed someone is cleaning up the 'sex plant' environs. Three front end loaders were parked there, the area around the building all cleaned up and leveled. No change I could see to the buildings while passing by. Anyone know if this location is part of the NJCF holdings?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Interesting! I will ask at work tomorrow. I may get some answers.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I did not get a chance to ask at work today. Had to leave early.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Not owned by NJCF as part of the Parker Preserve(to my knowledge). I'm not sure what is going on there but a friend who spends time in that area claims the owner of the property is doing some sort of modification to the property...he told my buddy that the building will remain but I have no idea what the owner is going to do. Its ashame because some rare stuff exists in and around the actual building.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com

tdozer

May 18, 2009
No its not owned by NJCF. The building will remain intact, and will recieve a new roof and siding. There are also no plans for the 14 acre property set in stone either.
Its ashame because some rare stuff exists in and around the actual building.
The only rare thing i know of in or around the building is the rail siding and DEP test wells(not so rare anymore)
I’ve never been able to find out exactly what this building was used for
The last "working" buisiness to operate there, painted and rebuilt electric transformers. The rail siding was used to ship the transformers. The two metal boxes(small rooms) in the building were the paint booths and all the DEP issues on the property was from all the PCB's that were spilled(probably dumped):ninja:That company was based out of japan.

If anybody has any other questions, i will try to answer them for ya.
Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was looking at Google Maps earlier today trying to dig up information on the building. It's really interesting to see all of the property lines out there. It looks like, at one point in time, there was an entire development planned there. Lots of tiny little lots and a grid pattern for streets.

Ben,

You have viewed that on old maps of Chatsworth when it was called Shamong. I tried to find one real quick but could not.

The only rare thing i know of in or around the building is the rail siding and DEP test wells(not so rare anymore)

Jim,

Dragon was referring to living creatures.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Thanks for the info Jim. Like Guy(teegate) said I'm referring to the creatures that live around that property. I know some studies where conducted off Prince and not much turned up but I can assure that there are some rare rare things in and around that property.....at least historically......but it sounds like not too much is being destroyed so that is good.

Does anyone know if they are paving prince(backside of the plant) all the way out to 72?

tdozer

May 18, 2009
Prince St.

Prince will not be paved all the way to rt72 as far as i know. Woodland Twp. has a yearly budget for road improvements which is small compared to most townships. That is why small sections of road are paved yearly. I have been told that eventually they are going to connect cedar rd, Laurel ln and prince st for the school busses. I can think of better things for them to do with tax dollars than that. It is gonna cost a fortune to pave through the swamp on laurel ln.

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
They should have left savoy Blvd.a two tracker sand road that was wide enough to take a motorcycle through.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
That's weird they would just do the outside of the building. When I went 2 or 3 years ago there was a whole section knocked out of the bottom of an 8" block wall. I don't know what was keeping the top supported but it really looked dangerous. Kids messed that place up so bad inside I don't even know if it would be worth saving. I figured that place would have ended up like Pioneer Smelting (that's what I read it was called) across the street. Kind of neat how the CNJ sidings for both locations are still there.