Sawmill Or Something Else

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was looking over aerials of the Apple Pie Hill area and noticed this in 1930. It is right at the sharp curve on Ringler Road on the way to Apple Pie Hill. The dark spot has an appearance of a sawmill so I had to check it out. With the woods recently burned there it is easy to access and close to the road. Upon arrival I found one piece of concrete surrounded by thousands of "Lily of the Valley" plants which grow well near concrete. There also is a hole there similar to what you will find at a sawmill but it also could be a well. I really don't think it is either one and it most likely has something to do with the development that was slated for that area years ago. Maybe a sign or something else.

https://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.80977435233003&lng=-74.5765783230591&z=17&type=nj1930&gpx=

The concrete. Can you see it?

IMG_2887a.jpg

Notice how it grows well adjacent to the concrete. You can also find Lily of the Valley on Apple Pie Hill itself by the ruins. However, be warned, this plant is extremely deadly and any pet you have with you can die if any of it is eaten.The same for humans so don't even touch it.

IMG_2889a.jpg

Again, a blurry photo; however, the Lady Slipper had done very well in the past week.

IMG_2899a.jpg

Guy

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice! I will check it again the next time I am there.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I should say that the "labellum" is white. The lady slipper flower has 3 petals; 2 lateral ones (those long and narrow ones) and the lower petal lip (the labellum). Note that on this one, the lateral ones are mostly pink.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So it turns out that apparently the white Lady Slipper is only white until it turns pink. I returned today and all of the white slippers are now pink. Another poor photo from my phone.

IMG_2408a.jpg

We searched today for any evidence of ruins at various locations near Apple Pie Hill that show up on topo maps. We found nothing. However, along the route we found this bottle from McCarter's Quality Beverage of Mt. Holly that dates to around the late 1940's as far as I can tell.

IMG_2904a.jpg

https://njbottles.com/index.php/topic,9772.0.html

Was at Apple Pie Hill today and various people came along while we were there. Then while walking deeper in the woods near the JCRR we heard the alarm at Apple Pie Hill go off twice. Either they were testing it or someone kept getting too close. Also ran into a woman walking alone today. Always nice to see that. I think she was a little concerned as we drove by thinking we may stop. Maybe she saw Jessica because she seemed relieved as we passed her.

I was looking over the 1931 aerials and noticed a location with at least 4 dwellings in the woods right along a road that everyone travels. We did not have time to check it out but will soon. In woods I have never been in. I can see the driveway and a parking area by the dwellings.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This morning Jessica is complaining that she stepped on a pine cone yesterday and now her foot is sore. Must be tough getting old. :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, she also stumbled :D on this monument that is on the Woodland/Tabernacle Township line, and the corner for the Parker Preserve and state land.

IMG_2918a.jpg

Reactions: bobpbx