Sawmills

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I got it. I didn't notice the little orange rectangle at bottom right when I passed my cursor over it. That expands it.

Really is a darn good article, punctuated with local color. I now wonder if Frozee got his car too.

Recall those concrete abutments in Lebanon, where the rows of straight trees are? That had to be a hell of a large steam sawmill, right?

The 1795 map in Ben's list of historic maps has 2 early mills.."Grips" and "Bars" (or "Burs") both Mills in the Mullica system. In fact, they are shown on a 1777 map. They had to be the up/down variety if they were not just grist mills. You know the map, the one that says...."an extensive forest of pine trees"....for indicating the pine barrens....:)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
Recall those concrete abutments in Lebanon, where the rows of straight trees are? That had to be a hell of a large steam sawmill, right?

I mentioned that one in a previous post in this thread.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As Scott mentioned in another post, I ran into him today in the woods heading back to my car after visiting the saw mill location he posted about. Below are the photo's.

This one has the very large bolts, and the base has red bricks covering it. I did not have much time to look it over, so I am not certain it the bricks cover cement. I would assume it does.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/1271-1/IMG_6294.jpg

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/1280-1/IMG_6297.jpg

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/1274-1/IMG_6295.jpg

My coordinates were ever so slightly different than Scott's.

39°41.472
74°46.241

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Should it be Sawmill or Saw Mill? I just realized that most people write sawmill; however, I have seen it saw mill. Opinions?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It looks like I have been writing it wrong.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Guy, thats not what you think it is. Those brown things that look like bolts are a fungus I see in damp areas: "Ironus threadusus".

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Is that the scientific name? They look like slow growers. I guess I will have to count the rings :)

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Now that I can view the photo's in my computer easier, I was able to find one of the other sawmills I visited. It is located near Washington. Steve and Bob we were right near there when we took our last break on the "The River Crossing" hike. This location was mentioned to the long time members of the various sites by Barry.

It is located at:

39°41.18.35
74°33.10.87

This one has a depression near it like many others.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/1298-1/saw.jpg

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
In that picture

TeeGate said:
I was able to find one of the other sawmills I visited. It is located near Washington.

Not relating to a depression, Am I seeing some remains of another base crumbling in the background or is that something else? I didn't think you would ever see two right together unless back to back.
My vision of the rest of the rig doesn't figure on that.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have two other photo's but did not post them. I will do that tomorrow.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
LARGO said:
Not relating to a depression, Am I seeing some remains of another base crumbling in the background or is that something else? I didn't think you would ever see two right together unless back to back.
My vision of the rest of the rig doesn't figure on that.

I went there today and took a photo from a different angle, and yes it is another base crumbling. You can see the hole at this one also.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/1302-1/IMG_6311.JPG

Also,I can't use Photoshop anymore to put on my Watermarks, so I am trying a new program. The text is not as clear but it works.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Maybe I misunderstood.
It seemed to me that pitsawing was a manual system.
I did not think it had anything to do with these operations so
I guessed that the "depressions,trenches" etc.
near the mounting bases may have had something to do with
the refuse of the machinery cuttings.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
LARGO said:
Maybe I misunderstood.
It seemed to me that pitsawing was a manual system.
I did not think it had anything to do with these operations so
I guessed that the "depressions,trenches" etc.
near the mounting bases may have had something to do with
the refuse of the machinery cuttings.

I was only going by that article. I am not an expert in sawing :)

Guy

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
sawmill near godfreys bridge

I went out yesterday to enjoy the nice weather. While driving near godfreys bridge I came across a saw mill on the right side of the road about 20 feet into the woods. To get there cross godfreys bridge then at intersection make a left and its down aways on the right. I briefly read the posts about the sawmills and was wondering if that is the same one as the one posted with the gps coords? Thanks Dave

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
daved said:
I went out yesterday to enjoy the nice weather. While driving near godfreys bridge I came across a saw mill on the right side of the road about 20 feet into the woods. To get there cross godfreys bridge then at intersection make a left and its down aways on the right. I briefly read the posts about the sawmills and was wondering if that is the same one as the one posted with the gps coords? Thanks Dave

You are correct Dave. That is the last one I posted about. If you see others like that anywhere, post again and we can add it to the list.

Thanks

Guy

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
saw mills

Sure will guy. So how many are known to be out there? If you could list gps coords for them I would appreciate I would like to see them. Also how many do you think are out there that were never found? I would like to find one that was never found. Time to dig out the gps I only used once before. Thanks Dave