Sawmills

TeeGate said:
So would you all believe that the one mentioned that is halfway between Atsion and the Bog would be in this area?

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4398292&e=524873&s=50&size=m&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

Anyone ever see anything around there?

Guy

I don't know of a bog in that area other than the boggy section of the Mullica that is there. However, I did notice a couple of years ago that when viewed on an aerial photo that area looks like there had been some activity there. Also a spot a little further up the road toward QB.

Steve

This shot taken from Google Earth is in that area. Not a bog but it looks interesting.

Steve

near%20atsion.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
After going through my photo's and records I was disappointed to find that I did not have or can't find the location of some of them I have visited, so this morning we stopped at one and took photo's and acquired the coordinates.

If this is a saw mill which I believe it is, it is located a very short distance from where there was some sort of tree harvesting. I am willing to bet that this occurred in the CCC era and the trees were used for building what they needed to build. Just a guess actually, but this one looks older than the cement one I posted the photo of at Hawkins Bridge.

Anyway, below is a photo of it which is located along Broken Arm Road at these coordinates.

39°55.589
74°28.681

Does anyone know of any others?

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/1151-1/IMG_6206.jpg

Shortly after that we were walking down the county line and ran into a hunter, so we returned to our car to wait for another day. As we drove down the road past where we were, it was acutely apparent that we were walking in the middle of a "drive". Some of the hunters did not seem happy, but other took it in stride. We waved to them :)

We also checked out the missing Benchmark on Apple Pie Hill that onehand informed me was missing, but the ground was completely covered in ice so we could not even check it out. Someone had done doughnuts up there which really made it look worse than it already is on the top.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
RednekF350 said:
I know of one about a mile west of 206 and south of Chew Road.
I'll go there within the next week with my hand held and post the coords.
Scott

Nice! I will check it out after you post.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Found One

As suspected after I asked my dad about the block on the Homestead in Elm he did verify it to be a base for a motor driven saw only a couple hundred yards from the J.C. on Fleming Pike. He gave me some more info to run with past his father's purchase of the property in 1949.He told me where the millhouse stood as well as another structure of interest.It seems it may have still been in use almost to 1900 +/-.
I know it's not buried deep in the pines but it is interesting. REDNECK350 gave me a couple tips on how to research it. I will make it a backburner project to see just who owned & operated it.

G.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks for posting about it, and I and others would be interested in what you come up with. Hopefully we can keep this thread going until we have quite a few more narrowed down.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
RednekF350 said:
I know of one about a mile west of 206 and south of Chew Road.
I'll go there within the next week with my hand held and post the coords.
Scott

Is this on that little trail just next to Rusnaks & across from SandyCause ??
It kind of wraps around to Grasso's field back by the tracks?? That would put it somewhere around Albertson's branch real close East of Iron Mills which you had asked me about on Saturday. Iron Mills would have been just across the tracks or so where Fleming pike does a little "jump" from West to East.
It seems like that could have been a part of the Iron Mills setup.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
That is a dead ringer for the rectangular one I have out on that Fleming pike spot just west of Iron Mills.
The Fleming pike one is 50" x 26" x 12+/-" high.
Only one stud is left.Mine is not nearly a mossy as this one but the edges are really crumbly. Not as clean looking as the one you show.
Could just be because it was continued to be put to use for other things over
the years.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
How close to Fleming Pike is it? Is it in the woods or on your property?

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
TeeGate said:
How close to Fleming Pike is it? Is it in the woods or on your property?

Guy
It is on the property which is not open to ready access.
The stone might as well be on Fleming pike because....
The property is on East Fleming Pike.It is the same property that the monument I posted you about is on.The stone is about 200 yards +/- NNE of the railroad track on Fleming.I do intend to continue to get accurate info as to who operated the site as I have the advantage here to do so.I will get you coords of the stone itself but I will give them to you. I will not be posting them as I do not want unwanted visitors to the site.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I finally got out to the one along Albertson Branch today with the dog. It is west of 206 and south of Chew Road..
It is L shaped and has a red brick surface treatment over concrete. The brick is pretty weathered.
It has 6 or 8 1"dia. anchor bolts.
About 6' away there is a visible mound that I kicked around and found it to be a pile of moss covered sandstone.
Here are the lat/lon:
N 39 deg 41.483 minutes
W 074 deg 46.238 minutes
I forgot my camera today but I will be hunting around there the next few weeks so I will grab a few shots then.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a perfect spot for one. I may get there next weekend to check it out. Thanks for the info.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
TeeGate said:
That is a perfect spot for one. I may get there next weekend to check it out. Thanks for the info.

Guy and Others
Where some blaze orange.
Next week the permit shotgun seasons return until 1-31-06.
That area I indicated for the sawmill foundation is in zone 25, a "brown and down" zone. Unlimited antlerless.
Same with zone 19 which is the Medford/Shamong/Tabernacle area.
Clubs pound it hard and they will shoot everything that comes out.
Thank God we have only one day of permit shotgun here in 23.
Scott

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
bruset said:
Largo,

You live or own property by Iron Mill?

I own Within walking distance so to speak or a short truck/quad ride.
Right in Pestletown/Waterford close to RedneckF350
I was born in Hammonton, lived in point pleasant while dad was in coast guard, but MOSTLY always resided near Iron mills. It is very close to my grandfathers place, we used to take the dogs there to wash & swim back when real water flowed.My dad learned to swim right off that bridge.
I have been knocking in & around the Iron mills,Parkdale,Elm,Atsion area
most of my life.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Hopefully I Am Not Confusing Anyone.

The stone I am talking about is not at my house but @ grandfathers old place.It is actually not geographically far from Scott's Albertson branch stone.