Scan of streets NOT THERE, along Oswego Road

B

BarryC

I think I posted here about this previously, that my Burlington County map from Alfred B. Patton, Inc., shows streets along Oswego Road that aren't there. Well it suddenly ocurred to me that I can scan it, and that way everyone can see what I'm talking about.
So I posted the scan of this in my gallery, along with a similar view from Topozone. These can be seen on page 11 of my gallery. Take a look. It's pretty odd about those streets. I wonder if it was something planned that never happened, or if it's one of those anti-copying tricks that map-makers use sometimes.
Hold on! It just ocurred to me- I wonder if those are streets that were once part of Allentown. I read once on a now-defunct website about New Gretna history that Allen Road used to be called Allentown Road, because there was a town out there called Allentown. Sometime in the late 1800s or early 1900s the town was packed up and moved out to Route 9 and renamed New Gretna. I wonder.
Barry

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Barry, paper streets are common. They are planned developments that never happened. Do you remember "fruitland"? I think those streets are on paper only too. What is a little weird is having them end up on a map published for public use...........bob

B

BarryC

Yes- I said that I wonder if that was a possibility: (from my text above- I wonder if it was something planned that never happened, or if it's one of those anti-copying tricks that map-makers use sometimes. )
Either one of these is a possibility. It would be interesting to find out for sure. And the thing about Allentown- Who knows? It would be interesting to know that too.
bruset said:
Also, sometimes map companies put fake streets on maps where people normally would never have to go, so that they can tell if someone copied their map for their own publication.