Scenic Status for Pinelands trail

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
I will purchase more garbage bags to collect the junk that will come along with the visitors.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
About 15 years ago I did work in a development squeezed in between the A.C. Racetrack and the Expressway.

This is a good example of why overdevelopment is a complex problem. Nothing personal, but if you helped build it then you are part of the problem. But it also put bread on your table. Then there are all the people who bought houses there. Developments can't exist without buyers. At least the real estate bust is forcing people to re-evaluate these issues.

I don't have any solutions myself. I live in a secluded spot surrounded by protected land, but there aren't any guarantees here either. If the area becomes developed more than I like, I will move somewhere else. I did that when I left Medford, and someday I'm sure I will have to do it again. Ironically, the addition of more homes, schools and shopping often increases property values - or at least that was the case in Medford.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I didn't like seeing all the developments going up either and I'm glad the company I work for started working over in Philly. Most of our work now is built where something existing was torn down. Even though were not doing it now Mt. Laurel,Medford and Evesham are still being developed. The population keeps growing and more homes are being built. I just hope the boom heads back into the cities.

The thing which caught my attention in that article was the $200 said:
Looks as though they are "planning" to take our money again! (Actually, still!)
It's a shame there's nobody (in their opinion) capable of doing that work locally! God forbid someone with local input has anything to do with something as sensative as this. It might mess up those who / whom have already made up their minds as to the natural order of things.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I just hope the boom heads back into the cities.

I recently read an interview with some professor who studies population growth and movement. He feels the opposite will happen unfortunately. His theory is that increased crime in urban areas (resulting from the economic downturn) is going to chase away many of the "pioneers" who have recently moved to downtown areas.

I work in Center City Philadelphia, and it's just amazing how many condo's are being built there. I can't imagine there are enough buyers out there to justify all the construction and renovation. But there are sure going to be a lot of new units on the market.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Following that money, and any additional grants, might be a more interesting "trail" than taking a drive down the road......."

I say follow the money for those groups tat tout their protecting the natural areas too !

This is why government local or otherwise does not operate with transparency.

We are treated like mushrooms........their unwritten agenda is ........keep them, (taxpayers) in the dark and through crap on them!

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Well there has been a Westbound ramp at Exit 17 all along, so I don't know why we would expect a huge change from the addition of an Eastbound one. I remember being really mad at myself one day when I had just moved to the area and was planning to get off at Exit 17 while headed East. Ended up cruising around the service area parking lot until I found a way to cut through to the Eastbound side. :bang:

But I'd agree that, sadly, eventually every acre of land which isn't somehow protected will be developed. Hopefully that is many years away though.

True, the main thing that would stimulate growth here at least in the long term would be the new easy access east. Going west, Philly is a bit too far for any kind of "normal" commuting. The now $3 toll (both ways) isn't too attractive now either.

Again though, with the economy I'm less concerned that developers will jump right in and take advantage of the new access. Look no further than the development mentioned above (Timber Glen) so many of those are currently empty and they’re right in the middle of the mall area and 5 miles closer to AC. I was talking more of a longer term impact… Egg Harbor City is really banking on the interchange as a growth stimulus, several development projects have been in limbo while the interchange was pending. We'll see what happens now (The Old Acme, Egg Harbor Lake etc).

Where I am is relatively "safe" as well with Green Acres and Nature Preserve surrounding me. There is a lot unprotected though away from my immediate area though.