school project

Nov 27, 2007
Stockton College
heyo!
i've got to write an essay for one of my classes, :eng101: and we were given the option of choosing our own topics. guess what i chose? :dance:
my essay topic is the history of the pine barrens and their seemingly damned future with all this development going on. any ideas where i could find some great resources for these subjects?
my professor suggested that i research batsto, port republic, the battle of chestnut neck and the pinelands commission.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
any ideas where i could find some great resources for these subjects?

You're here!
This site is great starting resource of historic accounts and has a great collection of historic maps.
Search any post made by Jerseyman and you will no doubt find a tremendous amount of information about many places and people in the pines.
Good luck.
Scott

How long is the paper and which class are you writing it for? Batsto, Port Republic, the Battle of Chestnut Neck, Pinelands Commission... that's a ton of ground to cover...

If you are focusing on the future of the pine barrens with development, the classic on that subject is The Pine Barrens by John McPhee from the late '60s. While some of the locals pulled his leg on some things, his book helped to start the preservation movement at a time where the pines were marked for the building of a large airport/metropolitan complex that would have pretty much done them in.

Nov 27, 2007
Stockton College
How long is the paper and which class are you writing it for? Batsto, Port Republic, the Battle of Chestnut Neck, Pinelands Commission... that's a ton of ground to cover...

If you are focusing on the future of the pine barrens with development, the classic on that subject is The Pine Barrens by John McPhee from the late '60s. While some of the locals pulled his leg on some things, his book helped to start the preservation movement at a time where the pines were marked for the building of a large airport/metropolitan complex that would have pretty much done them in.

the paper needs to be 8-10 pages.. i have a feeling i will end up writing a lot more than that!! it's for a writing class i have called argument and persuasion
i actually own that book but have yet to read it! i'll have to start soon!
thanks for your help!

Nov 27, 2007
Stockton College
the class is pretty boring! but we usually get to choose our essay topics, so i really like that. i havent chosen my thesis yet. the paper is due mid april, it's huge that i'm starting the research this early! i am usually a procrastinator at the professional level. it will probably have something to do with the demise of the barrens, but i'm not sure.
graduated from where? congrats!

Rowan University - Two degrees, a BA in Elementary Education and a BA in History with a concentration in International Studies. Only took me 7 1/2 years (5 years of community college) :bang: If you need to know about Stalinist Russia, Latin American politics, or the Colonial era in Africa, I'm your man!

I never managed a Pine Barrens paper, although I did write a paper for an art class on Lucy the Elephant as sculpture and a book comparison on New Jersey in the Civil War for my Civil War and Reconstruction class.

Thesis-wise, I'd angle towards something about the Pine Barrens being a valuable historical and ecological resource that needs to be preserved, that way you can get into the Pinelands commission, history, ecology... anywhere you want to take it!

My Lucy the Elephant paper if anyone is interested in learning about the ol' gal:
http://www.njpinelandsanddownjersey...ntManager_op=viewDocument&JAS_Document_id=103

Renee from njpinelandsanddownjersey.com had it up as an article for a long time, although apparently it's been archived now...

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Good luck on your essay. The demise of the pinebarrens...sounds kind of grim and you might have a hard time with the all the organizations and legislation you will be counting on for information, as it/they are politically motivated to preserve it.

Here is a suggestion: The demise of pinebarren culture, or the pineys. Seems less daunting a subject and more focused but hey, I am just throwing it out there for your consideration. I am sure you will do very well with whatever you choose. It is clearly a subject you care about. Good luck.

Jeff

TrailOtter

Explorer
Nov 24, 2007
Good luck with your paper! There are numerous books that deal with towns in the Pines and has been mentioned, this place is a great source of information to get you started :)