Searching For The J Roger Brick Stone

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
yes I measure between them and it is one chain exactly,so basically you have all three stones shown on the map but one is just a monument.Did you stab the ground around it? I doubt I did,if I did I found nothing because I show no stone on my file.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe the chains distance is off about 20 feet and that means NJ10M is the top stone of the two close to each other. So I need to go 1.95 chains further down the line and look and I failed to do so. That was a lot of work to waste on an error like that.

chains.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Recently, I had a meeting with someone who informed me that there were rumors that the steam shovel that dug the canal was damaged and still located at the end of the canal. I have been almost to the end of the canal a few years back but really wanted to see the end anyway. So this morning manumuskin and I made it a point to go there.

The end of the canal which was dug in 1929.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.7899405917177&lng=-74.81550104888913&z=17&type=nj1995&gpx=

Old steam shovel photo's.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ste...N6PYyAGivIDwDg&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1614&bih=1257

This is the very far end of the mound of dirt along the canal.

IMG_4103.JPG

The end of the canal itself. Manumuskin's dog could walk right down the middle.

IMG_4106.JPG

The meadow looking down the canal.

IMG_4107.JPG

We found no evidence of the shovel and decided to return the same way we came. Then all of a sudden we could see it ..... and for the first time in almost 85 years you can also.

IMG_4102.JPG

Guy

Reactions: John

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That was pretty funny, Guy! What was even funnier was the thought of Bob looking at the photo and thinking "I don't see no dang shovel"! Nice exploration. A lot easier in the winter than the summer I bet?! Sorry you didn't find the steam shovel but 1/2 of the fun is the prospect of it.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That was pretty funny, Guy! What was even funnier was the thought of Bob looking at the photo and thinking "I don't see no dang shovel"! Nice exploration. A lot easier in the winter than the summer I bet?! Sorry you didn't find the steam shovel but 1/2 of the fun is the prospect of it.

Jeff

That is what happens when someone retires.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
One little nitpick. It is J. Rogers Brick.
Did some work for the family in the past.

You may be correct but I will have to go to the source to get the true facts. I will get back to you on that. In the mean time here is the information I quickly came up with from my records and the internet. Most say Roger so I went with that.

brick.jpg

rodger.jpg

roger.jpg

wjcm.jpg

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Some would assume that the extra s was an error and it would likely end up as Roger on those State surveys, in my opinion.
His full name was Joseph Rogers Brick and he died October 31, 1991. That is a fact, not an opinion.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
There's a third variant spelling in that typed deed description - Rodgers with a "d" in the middle.
Classic genealogical problem: different documents have different spellings. Be interesting to see what his birth certificate said, and if his birth is listed in a church record, how spelled. 'Course, those sources could also be in error, making it just that more interesting. How did he sign anything? Did he change his signature over time?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
A way that names can get changed is via the military. I"m named after my Grandpop and our last names are spelled the same but his brother spells his name differently because they both were drafted in world war two and the navy changed the spelling of his brothers name by accident.Well after years of fruitlessly trying to get it changed back he just gave up and accepted their screw up and started using the wrong spelling for it so now one half of the family spells it one way and one half the other.I"m much more stubborn then that. I"d still be banging on Washingtons door 70 years later.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Your Grandpop was named Alfie Manumuskin? :)

Sorry Al, cabin fever here. I am Ed the third but somewhere someone changed it to 3D, it's every where now.
You always have to keep some skepticism when looking at documents and even maps. Even when you find what you think corroborates your find it could just be a repeated mistake. I have seen this in NJ Topos.

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is official .... his name was Joseph Rogers Brick