Searching The Clark Branch Bogs

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Jessica and I spent the morning walking the permitter of the old bogs along the Clark Branch looking for monuments and stones. These would be the bogs in the woods across from the salvage yard on Chew Road.The state acquired that property on 8/18/1998. In November 2004, RedneckF350 and the two of us visited it and did some searching, and this was Jessica and my first time back. There are a tons of stones back there but after looking them over they are not actually stones, they are very old monuments with nails in them. In any event, I won't bore you with most photos of the monuments, just show you a few things we saw. It is very unfortunate that the bogs are really contaminated with fertilizer from the farms nearby allowing the phragmites to totally take over the place. The bogs are ruined.

We were crossing the dike and the phragmites are on the left.

IMG_2067a.jpg

One of the monuments that are pre mid 1950s.

IMG_2080a.jpg

In the most remote spot along those bogs I saw this on a tree. Whatever it was holding on the other side had been there a while. The straps were starting to cut into the cedar tree.

IMG_2289a.jpg

Someone had made a deer feeder with rubber straps and a pan hooked to a metal support bar. This was the most interesting feeder I have ever come across.

IMG_2291a.jpg

Last edited:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I can't believe that was 2004 Guy. Ironically, the prior owner of most of the bogs died that year.
I used to hunt that area almost exclusively for the first ten years that I lived here. Those phrags were beginning to take over back then but man did they provide escape cover for deer ! The deer would emerge from the bogs at night and head back to them to bed in the late morning. Any time that you spooked a deer, they would head for the phrag and quickly disappear.

There isn't a whole lot of fertilizers being used in the upper watershed. Some of the areas are pseudo farms growing "hay" which means they let the grass get a foot high and then cut and bale it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe