Seeing yellow

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Within the past month I have seen allot of trees with yellow paint on them. This is on Push Line Road. I first saw it on Dec 28th and is new since I am down this way frequently.

P1010721s.JPG

It is approximately here on the right side of the road after you cross the gravel hill traveling west toward Lower Forge. It reminds me of surveyors marks I've seen.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.73280201166623&lng=-74.65373039245605&z=14&type=h&gpx=

We also found Yellow trees just after the third bridge traveling north on the Batona Trail out of Carranza on Monday, it is before Mt Korbar. This is very new as we have been walking here to hide from the wind for the last month. The picture doesn't do it justice. It seems that every 10th tree is painted for as far as I could see. In the picture you can also see aluminum sheet nailed to the trees, they have been there for decades. I was wondering if there is a reason to survey there. I will go back and explore.

P1010857s.JPG

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.79567768623683&lng=-74.61793899536133&z=14&type=h&gpx=

Ed

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
How it is painted is critical. Surveyors do not paint circles around the trees, or at least I have never viewed one. They put blazes on the trees in the direction the line runs. So if the tree is on the line the blaze will be on both sides. If they put the circle around the tree it does not help them find what they want to know. So Ed, with the mark that is already there, and the yellow ring, I would guess it was a hiking trail or hunters trail, or something of that matter. And, all of the property in that area is already owned by the state. There would not be a need to survey.

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
How it is painted is critical. Surveyors do not paint circles around the trees, or at least I have never viewed one. They put blazes on the trees in the direction the line runs. So if the tree is on the line the blaze will be on both sides. If they put the circle around the tree it does not help them find what they want to know. So Ed, with the mark that is already there, and the yellow ring, I would guess it was a hiking trail or hunters trail, or something of that matter. And, all of the property in that area is already owned by the state. There would not be a need to survey.

Guy

I'll have to go back and look. It is way over marked, litterally a gallon per 200 feet or so. The marks go through heavy brush.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Loggers also mark tree's with paint, but they circle the tree at about chest height. Does not appear that is the purpose you saw.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Some gun clubs paint trees where they set up drives. They could be marking for next season?

Chris

I don't think so. I've seen grids set up with surveyors tape before to keep some order in a drive. These marks went off in a sort of straight line. I will go back and follow them.