Semi-mysterious clearings

Swattie

Feb 27, 2006
First, I offer my abject apologies for bringing up what is probably common knowledge to every last person on this forum. The answer to this is probably as simple as 2 + 2, but I cannot figure it out, neither on this website or any others. Okay, here we go:

What is this? http://tinyurl.com/mnht5

Seriously, I cannot figure it out. At first I figured it had something to do with Warren Grove, but that can't be it. Then I thought it might have something to do with Coyle Field, but I don't have any idea what that would be. Is it a series of firebreaks? Why is there a large rectangular array of groups of three rectangular clearings? Why are there some shaped like letters of the alphabet? Why do they all appear to be in Ocean County?

Incidentally, I saw that the large rectangular area is noted as a landmark on the New York sectional chart, but I don't have it in front of me so I can't look up what it's referring to.

Thanks in advance!

Swattie

Feb 27, 2006
Thanks!

Any idea why are there so many in one place, while others are scattered? And why are some shaped the way they are?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That area is in the greenwood Wild Life Management area and, from what I understand, is kind of a hot bed of hunting activity due to the fields. These areas (WMAs) are primarily geared toward hunting recreation, unlike the state forests, so the state land near it doesn't have the fields. I haven't heard of any explaination for the letters other than those who created them were being creative, or perhaps they wanted some sort of arial landmark.

Jeff

ChrisNJ

Explorer
Jan 31, 2006
Medford
Yes they are fields planted for maximum habitat and food sources for Bobwhite Quail. That particular Wildlife Management Area is also stocked with Quail during the seasons.

If you look at a similar map just west of State College Pa you can see almost an exact set of squares cut into the forest for the sole purpose of studying Ruffed Grouse and their most optimum habitat.

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
might be just a rumour but my brother talked to a guy one time and he said it may have something to do with military training and planes and helicopters and such. i have been on some of the fields when military helicopters have landed in them. i think they use them maybe for training. i always wondered why the fields kinda looked like letters. i also think that sometimes they use hunters who are in stands in the deep woods for infrared training. i have been in some spots that couldnt be seen by eye from the air and have had helicopters circle near me like they were looking for me. i guess those million dollar gadgets need a work out.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
Yes, the military will use state park and game lands in emergency situations, sometimes for training and as alternate landing sites in a large or regional exercise. Just last month when I was hiking with friends in White Clay Creek DE we encountered an Air National Guard exercise.

I have no idea why some of the rye strips are shaped like alphabet letters other than to perhaps amuse the viewing public. Wildlife management maintains grassy areas of varying size and shape to accommodate the needs of different species.

I'm partial to that letter H myself.

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
i've always noticed and wondered about that area too. without satellite imagery, you'd probably never even realize it looked like that just from being there. i think i'd hafta go with the v-shaped ones as my favorite.