Shark attack in LBI

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Mind blowing hype. I lived on the street that the last attack occurred on in Surf City (about 6 years ago - the news vans blocked the street for a day) So, factually wrong article with comments from somebody in Florida... Yay MSNBC! It looks to me like he had a good gumbing from a sand shark. Honestly, I am more afraid of running Blues taking a toe off when I am sitting on my surfboard than sharks.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It may have been a pissed relative of the one my wife caught and ate a few weeks back. Payback! :D

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Totally believable, the water temps are perfect and especially with Burgess and Schoelkopf agreeing on it. The medical waste that was dumped off LBI last week and washed up on the beaches was probably like a dinner bell for the toothy critters. Certainly not a sand shark, you can see the teeths incision marks in the bite photo. When I had the boat, 2 of our favorite spots for inland shark fishing were inside Great Egg and Barngat inlets, its amazing what you don't see that's under the surface.....

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I was surfing in ship bottom when I was 12 and saw two sharks that summer. One was swimming about 10 yards away while I was paddling, about 10 minutes later it turned up almost on the beach as it gills had been bashed in. One of the lifeguards put it on a board and swam it back out.

I agree with the others def. not a sand shark.....hopefully this incident doesn't get blown out of proportion.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Shark attacks share a trait with hunting accidents, which I've mentioned before. The fact that they are so rare conritbutes to their tendency to be blown out of proportion and overreacted to. I generally have little regard for the media’s ability to decide what’s news and what isn’t. Has anyone noticed that Karl Malden just died? We sure as hell know that Michael Jackson did.

AnotherGoodGuy

Jul 3, 2009
Could have been a Bluefish?

I saw the photos and shark bite wasn't one of the first things I thought about, then again I'm not an expert.

Funny how when something like this is in the news everyone comes out of the woodwork claiming to be a shark expert.

Hey, remember the famous glove expert at the OJ trial?

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Anyone noticed the date of the article? I researched a bit and saw this same link on a forum from 2005.

Right you are! It states the date on the top of the article.

updated 4:14 p.m. ET, Wed., June 8, 2005

SURF CITY, N.J. - A teenage surfer was bitten in an apparent shark attack off the New Jersey coast, and experts believe a small great white may be responsible.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'm so gullible :rofl:

Doesn't change a thing though; they are still there, hundreds of 'em, waiting, just under the surface......

And Shark Week is next month :D

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
opps! I didn't realize that was an old article. It came up as I was looking at the video article of that poor 14 year old girl in Fl. Sorry about that.

Jeff

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
05 or 09, It doesn't matter, a Great White on L.B.I.! It's way too dangerous. I'll never go to the beach again!! Uhoh it's getting late, gotta leave for work now. Today I,m in North Philly where it's far from any sharks.