Shoes

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Can anyone recommend a good pair of hiking shoes? I just started hiking and the pair of 9 yr old Nike ACG's just aren't cutting it. I always get a blister after about 5 miles. It's time for new shoes and any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to finish the Batona pain free.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
My problem is my shoes wear out after 2-3 months, but I do go on some long hikes, did two 15 mile hikes in the past week and my shoes are now worn down to the point of having no heel.

Mar 10, 2008
I've had good luck with montrail's. Currently I have a pair of solomon XA pros. I like a bit of toe room and breathability is big for me. I did a weeklong backpacking trip with these in the alpine lakes wilderness without breaking them in and had no troubles.

Wow, LIP, 2 to 3 months? It might help to pick up your knees instead of dragging your feet as much.

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
I suggest you take a trip to REI or EMS and try some on, they both have a great selection of top of the line shoes.

I wear two different styles of Vasque hiking boots. One pair is a mid weight hiker and the other pair is a heavier duty hiker almost like a work boot. They both are very comfortable, perform excellent, and my feet love em. There's no name on them other than Vasque, so I can't tell you the models...............Mike

Mar 10, 2008
I've never had much luck with boots. When I first started hiking I got a nice pair of leather vasques and suffered tremendously. Blisters, sore knees, tired legs, etc... Then I switched to a soft boot, then to trail shoes/beefy running shoes and haven't looked back since. No more knee pain or blisters. I've read that a pound off of your feet is like 4 lbs. off of your back. Think about the stress on your knees with each lift of your leg and foot. At first I was worried about twisting an ankle, but after many years of hiking including an AT thru hike, that hasn't happened (yet, knock on wood). I feel I have more control over foot dexterity by not having my ankles restricted, and can react to situations better. This is a plus, especially when hiking in sugar sand. I don't like to buy into what I like to call "the great hiking boot swindle." But then again one of my favorite sayings is to, "hike your own hike."

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Hats off to you for completing your thru hike of the AT Craig. A very impressive feat indeed.
I'm quickly approaching a one year anniversary of having my right leg amputated below the knee. I still have some PT to go through but I am able to do some limited hiking. I'm trying to conquer the mighty Batona Trail as a start but the blisters really put a damper on things. I really appreciate all the recomendations. I've had a few people suggest some sort of sneaker or trail running shoe for now.
A friend of mine told me one of the best things about REI is that you can return boots at any time and in just about any shape. I have no personal experience with this but if it's true, it sounds like a great way to try different boots. I thought I'd share that tidbit of knowledge with you fine folks.
One other thing while I have your attention, how do you deal with speed hikers who don't care about anything but how fast they can cover ground? Have any of you dealt with this or are you a speed hiker?
Thanks again.

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
This is REI's return policy:

Every item you purchase at REI is 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Whether you made your purchase online, by mail or in an REI store, you may return or exchange it by mail or at any of our retail locations. Returns information and instructions are listed below and can also be found on the back of your invoice.

I've yet to have a problem with an item I purchased from REI........Mike

Mar 10, 2008
Hats off to you for completing your thru hike of the AT Craig. A very impressive feat indeed.
I'm quickly approaching a one year anniversary of having my right leg amputated below the knee. I still have some PT to go through but I am able to do some limited hiking. I'm trying to conquer the mighty Batona Trail as a start but the blisters really put a damper on things. I really appreciate all the recomendations. I've had a few people suggest some sort of sneaker or trail running shoe for now.
A friend of mine told me one of the best things about REI is that you can return boots at any time and in just about any shape. I have no personal experience with this but if it's true, it sounds like a great way to try different boots. I thought I'd share that tidbit of knowledge with you fine folks.
One other thing while I have your attention, how do you deal with speed hikers who don't care about anything but how fast they can cover ground? Have any of you dealt with this or are you a speed hiker?
Thanks again.
The Batona seems like a good starting point. Do you have an irregular gait with your prosthesis, is this what's giving you blisters? I don't know how articulated they are nowadays, but can you get a natural stride?
I'm no speed hiker by any means. I don't agree with they way the mile-counters attack trails. It's not the point of being in the woods. You run into plenty of them, especially on the AT. It seems to be prevalent with people who are just getting into hiking, as that is what the marketing industry endorses. It's the "bigger, better, faster" idea that is pushed in outdoorsy magazines. I think the best way to deal with them is to just act very nonchalant and take on a lackadaisical attitude. They will no doubt ask you where you started, where you're finishing, what you're carrying, etc... and will volunteer their printed out spreadsheet will all of their info on it. I just say, "That's nice." And if you aren't doing X miles in Y hours with such and such gear you can almost see the anxiety rising in them. They'll leave quickly after that.
I do like to walk, though, and don't spend much time just sitting around when hiking, so I end up covering a good chunk of ground, but only because I walk (slowly) all day. I'd rather have my feet be comfortable while walking, than having more stuff while in camp while sleeping.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
The Batona seems like a good starting point. Do you have an irregular gait with your prosthesis, is this what's giving you blisters? I don't know how articulated they are nowadays, but can you get a natural stride?
I'm no speed hiker by any means. I don't agree with they way the mile-counters attack trails. It's not the point of being in the woods. You run into plenty of them, especially on the AT. It seems to be prevalent with people who are just getting into hiking, as that is what the marketing industry endorses. It's the "bigger, better, faster" idea that is pushed in outdoorsy magazines. I think the best way to deal with them is to just act very nonchalant and take on a lackadaisical attitude. They will no doubt ask you where you started, where you're finishing, what you're carrying, etc... and will volunteer their printed out spreadsheet will all of their info on it. I just say, "That's nice." And if you aren't doing X miles in Y hours with such and such gear you can almost see the anxiety rising in them. They'll leave quickly after that.
I do like to walk, though, and don't spend much time just sitting around when hiking, so I end up covering a good chunk of ground, but only because I walk (slowly) all day. I'd rather have my feet be comfortable while walking, than having more stuff while in camp while sleeping.
My gait has always been kind of irregular but nothing extreme. It just gets shorter as my foot begins to hurt.
As far as hiking the Batona, I like it. We started in early February at Ong's Hat and took 3 trips out to get to Carranza Memorial and then I had to head to Florida for about a month. On our last hike before Florida, we did eight miles which wore me out but wasn't terribly difficult. This past weekend, we tried CM to Batsto but I only made about nine miles. Part of that was backtracking to Quaker bridge so my buddies could pick me up. I must say though, when the sun was shining and there were no people around, the pine needles made a very comfortable bed.
I hike with two buddies and one is the speed hiker I mentioned. Since I read "A Walk in the Woods", I tell my other buddy to let him go and we'll catch up but it never seems to happen that way. We'll work it out eventually.
I guess sometimes some people aren't made to hike together.
Thanks.

Mar 10, 2008
My gait has always been kind of irregular but nothing extreme. It just gets shorter as my foot begins to hurt.
As far as hiking the Batona, I like it. We started in early February at Ong's Hat and took 3 trips out to get to Carranza Memorial and then I had to head to Florida for about a month. On our last hike before Florida, we did eight miles which wore me out but wasn't terribly difficult. This past weekend, we tried CM to Batsto but I only made about nine miles. Part of that was backtracking to Quaker bridge so my buddies could pick me up. I must say though, when the sun was shining and there were no people around, the pine needles made a very comfortable bed.
I hike with two buddies and one is the speed hiker I mentioned. Since I read "A Walk in the Woods", I tell my other buddy to let him go and we'll catch up but it never seems to happen that way. We'll work it out eventually.
I guess sometimes some people aren't made to hike together.
Thanks.

Nine miles is no small feat. When I hike with my mom we do the catch-up thing. I really like the batsto to lower forge trip. you get lowland and highland forests, plenty of river scenery, and a nice campsite if done at the right time of year. My mom just finished section hiking the batona with sever arthritis in her knees (she's up for a knee replacement pretty soon).
I hear they're starting filming for a walk in the woods soon.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
I hear they're starting filming for a walk in the woods soon.

I'd love to see the movie as long as they stick close to the book which doesn't seem too difficult. What do you think, John Goodman as Katz? It's a shame Chris Farley isn't with us anymore, he would have made a great Katz.
If I can arrange it, I would like to get dropped off at Quaker Bridge and finish the section I tried to do this last weekend. If I do manage to arrange it, I think I'll wear my sneakers. I'm really looking forward to getting into the southern end of the trail but I don't want to do it without completing the previous sections.
Hats off to your mom Craig. Hiking with pain can make the most beautiful scenery ugly.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I have hiked the Batona Trail end-to end 35 times and have never worn anything but trail running shoes, which I think are more than sufficient for the conditions. Actually, regular running sneakers are probably sufficient. Personally I have never worn anything heavier than a trail running shoe, even hiking the AT with a 45lb pack. You're less likely to get a blister walking in flexible lightweight sneakers than you are in boots.

I'm also a big fan of a sneaker insert called 'Superfeet.' They not only provide excellent shock absorption but they help your foot hit the ground in the proper position. They're a little pricey at $35 and you have to trim them yourself to fit your shoe, but you can usually find them on ebay for around $25. I'm 47 years old and I hike between 500-750 miles a year in nothing but trail runners with Superfeet and I have never had a problem with an ankle or a knee.

Mar 10, 2008
oh yeah. I also use superfeet religiously. they really are amazing. Unless you have prescription orthotics these work great.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
I did a test walk today in my sneakers around the "White Trail" at Batsto and it was surprisingly pain free. Now, the Phillies game was a different story but for now, as long as I'm on an established trail in the pines, I think I'll stick with the sneakers.