Six inches of fun.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I reached down to grab this nice looking plant specimen. I pulled back just in time. Thank the Lord that I always pull from the very base. Two of the other stems had them on too.
MChammer 1.JPG
MChammer 2.JPG

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I never see ticks around my place after late July, but I'm sure I could find some if I went bushwacking. ;) But the chiggers (which are not really chiggers, as we now know) are certainly here. Have gotten a couple bites on my ankles for the past few days, and I'm wearing pants, socks and shoes that were just treated with permethrin.

August is the peak season for lone star tick larvae.

Are the other species larvae on a different timetable? My last Lyme case was from one of these tiny suckers, was only apparent when I developed a rash. The tick was so small and fragile that I scratched and scraped it off without realizing it was attached. Never saw it, only left a small itchy bump.
I now shower after doing any gardening/ yardwork.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Are the other species larvae on a different timetable? My last Lyme case was from one of these tiny suckers, was only apparent when I developed a rash. The tick was so small and fragile that I scratched and scraped it off without realizing it was attached. Never saw it, only left a small itchy bump.
I now shower after doing any gardening/ yardwork.
While you can find representatives all year, yes, they have different timelines for different species.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yesterday Bob and I revisited the exact plant shown in the above photo taken at least 16 days previously. We found many of them still waiting for the perfect opportunity to create havoc. Persistent for sure!

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd