snake venom?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That reminds me. In Bamber, in a nice little bog by the lake, some kids threw about 10 pices of plywood down to make a fort or walkway. I lifted one up and there was a snake about 12" long and thin. It looked reddish brown, but not striped like a scarlet. It wriggled down into the spaghnum moss too quick for me. I want help to move the boards out of that bog, so if any of you herp guys want to help and maybe see something interesting under one of them, let me know some Saturday morning and we'll get 'er done.

billysbrown

Sep 12, 2006
Hello,

I'm new to these forums, but I do recognize some posters from other forums.

The question of why some southern coastal plain species in the Barrens but not others is extremely interesting to me, but I think what's missing from this conversation is the historical element - by that I mean that present species distributions have a lot to do with climate and landscape changes of the past several hundred thousand (or million) years. Glaciers have chopped up species ranges, species have retreated south or into small patches of former ranges, and have then expanded back out into new landscapes, etc. Maybe there were southern copperheads in the Barrens before the last ice age, and they just didn't make it through like the pine snakes, etc.

For more wacky species range maps, think of the smooth green snake out West, the Blandings turtle, or our little bog turtle.

Here's an interesting page about bog turtles: http://www.tortoisereserve.org/Research/Lee_Herman_Body2.html

I can't vouch for its conclusions, but it does give a good sense of the historical forces at play in determining species distributions that look kind of funny.

As for my opinion on the matter, there are no copperheads in the Barrens. They hang out on the surface and seem to be pretty easily discovered wherever they occur naturally, unlike the scarlets. People find them in their backyards, you find them under surface debris, and I've found them crawling around at dusk (Georgia) or basking in plain view in the afternoon (SE Ohio).

Cheers,
Billy

Phillyherping.blogspot.com

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Billy, I was wondering when you were going to join this site, I think I gave you the address a while ago. Anyways, welcome, I often wonder when I'm checking out wood turtles in central pa why there isn't bog turtles. The habitat appears to be better there, limestone fed sedge habitat are all over the place. I always assumed bogs weren't west of the appalachians(sp?) but that article makes me think my assumption is wrong. Interesting article. Billy you find that trying to do some scouting?
Chris

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
their ar no poisonous snakes in the pines.poison is something you ingest (eat) some snakes are venemous (venom is injected into the blood stream not ingested) and the timber rattler is the only native venemous snake in the pines.
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
the northernmost colony of water moccasins known is in richmond va city park.they would have to either cross two large bodies of salt water or ascend into the piedmont up past philly and then cross the dealware to get to the barrens.they dont like salt water though they"LL TOLERATE BRACKISH and they dont like fast water what the piedmont has.on the other hand copperheads are in delaware and north jersey why their not in the barrens i have no idea.
Al