Snow on the way?

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
You folks in NJ actually might get more than us on Long Island, they are saying because of the ocean influence things may change to rain here.
I hope they are wrong, we haven't had any snow yet this winter (how strange is that?). It's been pretty cold all day, temps only reaching around 25 degrees or so. So I have a feeling things will stay mainly frozen, and stay snow.
I really want to get some snow scenes in the pines. Last year we only had that one big storm, and the snow melted so fast.
Here's to more scenes like this in the pines!:guinness:
pinessnow4.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
We got maybe 2" earlier today, but nothing much has happened during the past 4 hours. Looking at the radar image, there seems to be a huge storm around Pittsburgh, but it's breaking up as it moves East. At the moment it appears that North Jersey is getting most of what's left. Of course, this could all change as we go into tomorrow :)

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Raining and sleeting now with a temp of 24F. What's going on is courtesy of those warm ocean temps (still in the mid 50s east of Atlantic City) mid level warm air is riding above cold air at the surface, which means freezing rain.
If we didn't have that summer weather back in Dec & Jan, this would be a snowstorm.
That warm spell just killed the whole winter. It's really frustrating to have 2 relatively snowless winters in a row. This winter we have had no snow at all, not even 1 inch, here on LI, it's crazy. It's even more frustrating because it's certainly cold enough, but the warm ocean waters are warming it up above us.
Too bad we can't just drop some mile wide pieces of dry ice to cool that hot ocean down, waters off NJ should be in the mid 40s not the mid 50s. You'd think it'd cool down with all the cold weather we have had, but I guess it's too little too late.
The Great Lakes are smaller, but because they are quite warm, is why they are getting pounded with 80 inches of snow upstate NY.
But because the lakes are smaller, they can only add moisture to the cold air, and not enough heat.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Not much happened here at all until the early morning hours when it started raining. It's pouring now at 7:00 AM. Looking at this radar image, it seems like I'm right on the border between the rain and ice though. I have to go into Philadelphia this afternoon and work until late tonight, but hopefully things will be OK by then.

Attachments

• rain.JPG
    rain.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 193
Oct 25, 2006
Snow on the way

Ice,ice,and more ice,gusty winds,roads were not that bad when i got out of work this morning.It took 30 minutes to scrape the car off,as of 8:15,freezing rain.Take care people,unbelievably there were crazies still speeding on the junk.Road crews out in force.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Ice was pretty much falling off the windshield of my Jeep in Turnersville at 6:15. Ice had turned to rain. It's now 9:15 & back to ice/sleet here in Sewell. A coworker is on the phone with his wife who is in the middle of a multi car pile-up. Cars are piling in as he is speaking to her

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
There's quite a range of temperature in our region now (9:45 AM). No ice or snow anywhere to be seen at my place - the porch thermometer says 42 degrees. Forecast calls for warming in other areas, so I hope the ice melts before causing too much damage. Based on the radar, it looks like LongIslandPiney is also getting a good blast of ice now.

Attachments

• temp.JPG
    temp.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 193

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
My husband is headed to Atlantic county today for a job, I am glad he has the Jeep. I drove through the belly of the beast today, up the Route one corridor through Princeton. It's pretty treacherous, we have about an inch of pure dry sleet, it's sort of weird. My Subaru is totally awesome on bad roads, but I could plainly see other cars not doing so hot. What a MESS.

I love this stuff. :)

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Yeah heavy ice here right now. That's the story across most of the western portion of Suffolk and Nassau, however it's in the mid 30s and raining across eastern Suffolk. So the pines are getting muddy, not white.
The ground is white here in Nassau. But according to the news they were in Riverhead and it was all wet and muddy.

My husband is headed to Atlantic county today for a job, I am glad he has the Jeep. I drove through the belly of the beast today, up the Route one corridor through Princeton. It's pretty treacherous, we have about an inch of pure dry sleet, it's sort of weird. My Subaru is totally awesome on bad roads, but I could plainly see other cars not doing so hot. What a MESS.

I love this stuff. :)

I was probably one of the ones not doing so hot... I reallly don't like driving in snow or ice even tho' my little tC seems to be ok in it; I just drive slow and easy and be thankful that I'm not having to ride my motorbike in this mess (years ago, I only had a motorbike to get around on and have ridden in the snow). :rolleyes:

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
oh man, a motorcycle in the snow....that is insane. I hate it when I'm going about 50-60MPH and run into an unexpected down pour. Ahhh it is a million little BB's pelting you. I would never attempt to ride on the road in the snow. And I have attempted just about everythihng.

Jeff