Snow ??

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Well this weather has never happened in anyone's lifetime. Blew through the snowfall totals for Philadelphia since the beginning of their records during the last storm. Looks like it will be substantially over the old records by the time this weekend comes. I'm also really tired of it, I got enough weather like this when I lived in upstate NY.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Well this weather has never happened in anyone's lifetime. Blew through the snowfall totals for Philadelphia since the beginning of their records during the last storm. Looks like it will be substantially over the old records by the time this weekend comes. I'm also really tired of it, I got enough weather like this when I lived in upstate NY.

This is the first big dump upstate has got this winter. The base at Whiteface is only 24-36", and that's with snowmaking, only 80% open.

The latest suggests Philly will be hardest hit from this storm. Time will tell.

Texas set an all time season record for snow today :D

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Well, crap, the rumors are true. I feel like I am missing out being in MI, another reason I wish I were still there. I find this vexing because I am still a homeowner in NJ and I now have to find someone to shovel and plow so the realtor can get in. I was hoping to get away with it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
AccuWeather is calling this one a "Hurricane blizzard" and says that winds on higher elevations in new england may top 70 mph. Looks like it will run more north and west, though.

Keep watch at this site, the top of Mt Washington, they held the record for the strongest recorded wind on earth, 231 mph in 1934. The new record, from a typhoon, is 253 mph, recorded in 1996.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Time to fill the back porch with firewood.. AGAIN. And pick up some more cold

The first storm that was fun, second storm it was " Ok another big storm lets get the fixings to weather it out, not to bad.", the third big storm " not again!", this one, stick a fork in me I am done!

I can't wait for the warm days of summer and breath in the intoxicating smell of the pines in the summer!

Chris

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The first storm that was fun, second storm it was " Ok another big storm lets get the fixings to weather it out, not to bad.", the third big storm " not again!", this one, stick a fork in me I am done!

I can't wait for the warm days of summer and breath in the intoxicating smell of the pines in the summer!

Chris

I actually miss chigger bites on my ankles and deer flies circling my head incessantly.
No I don't.
Yes I do.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I feel left out that I won't be there for the storm. I did not expect this as a consequence of moving out of state. :(

Out here when it snows, nobody cares. Nothing closes and people don't bat an eyelash. That's the appeal of snow to me, that it makes everything stop. *sigh*

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
My daughter went all the way through Middle School when we lived in upstate NY, where they only measure snow by the foot. I don't think there were more than 3 or 4 days during all those years that they canceled school. They had the huge snow plows rolling on the bus routes constantly.

I don't miss any of that....

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
My daughter went all the way through Middle School when we lived in upstate NY, where they only measure snow by the foot. I don't think there were more than 3 or 4 days during all those years that they canceled school. They had the huge snow plows rolling on the bus routes constantly.

I kinda miss waking up to what sounded like thunder as the plows came rolling down our road. It was a dead end dirt road, the trucks they had also dumped to the front to spread the gravel under their drive wheels. Just about nothing could stop them. And they were kind enough not to plow in the driveway :D

All white outside, silver dollar flakes falling pretty heavily now, about an inch on the ground. Looks like heart attack snow.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net

I grew up in the Finger Lakes region upstate myself, and remember it the same way. Huge amounts of snow, and the massive equipment to handle it all. Here they cancel school before the snow falls.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ah... Sterling is in Cayuga County, and Auburn is the County Seat. :)

Back OT: Looks like they are downgrading the snow totals for southern NJ. We had 1-2 inches on the ground and trees early this morning, but then it changed to a very light rain which has washed it all away. Wind is starting to pick up now though.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png