Snow ??

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
We're getting hammered up here. Drifts over two feet in places now and its coming down gangbusters. Blowing a stink too. I'd guess 30-35 knot gusts. I don't like the look of Boyd's map at all. I'm in the pink part. I only hope that it stays below freezing long enough for me to get it off the drive and walks tomorrow without killing myself. I've already done the drive twice today and looking out you can't really tell :).

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
This is a monster storm. Barometric pressure is down to 973mb, that is Cat 2 hurricane levels, and it might get down into the 960's. before all is done. Snowing here, little accumulation but its frozen underneath.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
We haven't had much snow down here... hard to tell, maybe 6"? But the wind is fierce so lots of drifting. I have to go into Philadelphia for work later today, but I'm gonna wait as long as possible since this is supposed to let up in the afternoon.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Sorry Mark - it's your "turn in the barrel" this time. :) Just got in and it's more like 3" of snow down here. It's wet, but not too heavy. Drifts are approaching a foot in some spots. I was able to get down to the end of the driveway and back without clearing anything. This makes me happy, since using the snow blower in this wind would be painful! Where I drove through the snow, it compressed into wet nothingness. With the forecast calling for temps in the 40's for the next few days, I'm hoping that this stuff will just go away by itself. :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The sun is out here, any snow on pavement has melted and is drying out; westerly winds around 6-8 with gusts to 15. Should be a nice, but muddy weekend, but....

I really hate to post this, really I do, but forewarned is forearmed :)

"Now it's time to turn our attention to the next storm. Remember back about a week ago we talked about a storm around the 3rd of March. Well, the operational models are now hopping on the storm, and we could be facing another East Coast Big Daddy. Yes, you heard me right, another Big Daddy. You can see on the map from the GFS model, the storm winding up along the East Coast. Now, I have not had much time to look at everything, but over the weekend, I will be looking at things very closely..."

A Big Daddy is like a Big Momma, only bigger....

590x442_02261733_gfs1226201.png

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
You had to post that, didn't you? I just finished shoveling feet of the stuff off my drive and walks, and the first thing I see on the forum is a report of another big storm.

Well it's not happening, and that's all there is to it. The whole winter wonderland thing has run its course (well, it will have run its course after tomorrow when I'll be down in the pines).

Anyway, here's some pics...

I have one of those stamped concrete walks... because I'm a dumbass.

My drive isn't this long. My drive is 22 feet shorter than it appears to be here. Thanks Mr. Plow Guy. Asshole.

I dug out the barbeque because, frankly, after four and a half hours of shoveling I want a damn steak.

Because the house faces north whenever we have a blizzard the winds come whipping over the roof peak, and in a move reminiscent of air masses crossing the Sierra Nevada, drop their load. Thanks, wind.

King Drift was right at the back sliding door. I opened it to let Rascal out this morning and he took one look and pissed on the floor. Nah, just kidding. I let him piss in the garage.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Quit bitchin.
My driveway is 400 feet long and as I waited for this to end and then watch it get wet & heavy, I broke out the J/D and went to work. The term "driveway" no longer applies. Every ounce/ton of stone is now dispersed in a most freakish fashion over my lawn, the street, the rest of the township, everywhere but... my driveway. These snows since December have caused me to push up everything and now my yard and driveway is reduced to so much mush. Guess I'll be buying stone with the tax return this year.
The white shit needs to come to and end. To add insult, the Seaside Plunge was pushed up from tomorrow till next week. It is truly medicine to me to jump in the ocean and now my pill must wait. Such is life.

g.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Quit bitchin.
My driveway is 400 feet long and as I waited for this to end and then watch it get wet & heavy, I broke out the J/D and went to work. The term "driveway" no longer applies. Every ounce/ton of stone is now dispersed in a most freakish fashion over my lawn, the street, the rest of the township, everywhere but... my driveway. These snows since December have caused me to push up everything and now my yard and driveway is reduced to so much mush. Guess I'll be buying stone with the tax return this year.
The white shit needs to come to and end. To add insult, the Seaside Plunge was pushed up from tomorrow till next week. It is truly medicine to me to jump in the ocean and now my pill must wait. Such is life.

g.

Well how would you feel if it was 422 feet after the plow guy came through, eh? I guess I have to buy a real snowblower. My little Honda unit just sort of wheezes and dies when I push it into anything deeper than about 6-8 inches.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Well how would you feel if it was 422 feet after the plow guy came through, eh?

Please. Waterford Township takes great joy in plowing wonderfully high abuttments at the end of the Pestletown drives (when they plow at all)
I used to go in to the road and knock the piles in to my yard. My answer this season; put as much of my yard in to Pestletown Road as I can. It somehow calms me as as I watch the many folks from the development behind me try to navigate the mess I leave in their way.

g.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I'm actually joking about the plow guy. I know both the guys who do this street. Take them coffee every now and then. He was just making a quick first pass to get the roads open. He'll come back later and plow in the nice opening I made.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
It somehow calms me as as I watch the many folks from the development behind me try to navigate the mess I leave in their way.

There seems to be some unresolved anger issues here. 78+ inches of snow this season wouldn't have any thing to do with that, would it? :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
He'll come back later and plow in the nice opening I made.

If you look carefully as the plow passes by your driveway, you will see a smile on the plow guys face and a glimmer in his eye. Next time, drop a little chocolate ex-lax in that cup of coffee and give it to him with a similar smile on your face and glimmer in your eye :dance:

I ordered a D&R, my Toro takes care of the driveway with some effort, but the wall at the end causes it to whimper and die.

iws5_430.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It is truly medicine to me to jump in the ocean and now my pill must wait. Such is life.

Why not wait till July? That pill taken today would be a bitter one indeed!

Oh boy, I wish it had gone off in the storm....I would have paid $5 admission to see that.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Why not wait till July? That pill taken today would be a bitter one indeed!
Oh boy, I wish it had gone off in the storm....I would have paid $5 admission to see that.

For a mere $100.00 minimum in raised donations, you can go in with me.
C'mon, you now have a week to decide. It is March 6th. It'll be like summer.

Two times before I've done it in the snow. My year one is my avatar showing gulls on the Point Pleasant Beach in 2000.
July would not make it a Polar Bear Plunge. It would be more like the Iquana Plunge or some such.

I got up this morning and looked out at the gleeming white expanse of my yard and surrounding fields and yes, I can say it has lost a great deal of it's luster to me now. It's just so much white mess at this point.

g.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Time to put the snow blower away. Temps are forecasted to be in the 50's as far as the eye can see. Except for the north side of things and shaded areas, the snow is gone. Croci are popping up all over.

Maybe I'll just keep it ready so as not to jinx things :rolleyes:

4401534394_8924e8bfd4.jpg