Solar Eclipse 2017

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I saw on the news that Carbondale, IL is the town where the eclipse will last the longest. Funny... that's just a few miles from where my mother's family lived, used to go there all the time to visit. They are all long gone now though. :)

Reactions: manumuskin

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I saw on the news that Carbondale, IL is the town where the eclipse will last the longest. Funny... that's just a few miles from where my mother's family lived, used to go there all the time to visit.

NASA can take you there ;) That's where I'll be watching from, if I don't fall asleep once it gets dark :D

More info about the eclipse then you will ever need;

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-live-stream

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I saw on the news that Carbondale, IL is the town where the eclipse will last the longest. Funny... that's just a few miles from where my mother's family lived, used to go there all the time to visit. They are all long gone now though. :)
Carbondale is where the track crosses the track of the next solar eclipse coming in 2024.Both tracks cross right over the New madrid Fault .Where the worst earthquake in USA history occurred a little over 200 years ago.The Mississippi flowed backwards and changed course and created Reelfoot Lake.Waves of earth could be seen traveling at a high rate of speed and they would burst and throw earth and rocks as high as the tree tops.Quite a terrifying description of it written.I forget who wrote it though.
Leaving in an hour.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Reactions: Spung-Man

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Well that was OK, the clouds cleared in time. Sunlight got dim and had an interesting quality, shadows became sharper than usual because the light source was smaller.

Hope you had a good trip Al, safe travels on the way home!

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
You might have to zoom in but this is the eclipse from Lock's through the clouds.
IMG_5261.JPG

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Strange how the clouds got thicker as the eclipse progressed then the sky cleared after. I was wondering if the eclipse drove the weather.

Reactions: Spung-Man

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Right about the time it reached the maximum there was a sudden gust of wind which was strange because it was very still before and after. Also heard a bunch of birds singing. I'm thinking this was just coincidence, because the overall effect of the eclipse wasn't all that dramatic.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
I too noticed how the clouds thickened, but then realized that cloud layer had been there before and after in about the same density. Apparently eclipse darkening had made those clouds appear darker, that's all. Patty made a hole-in-cereal box eclipse viewer, which worked fine for our purpose.

Viewing Notes:
  • Crickets really did start evening songs, and continued well after the sun fully reappeared.
  • Katydids then followed the crickets in call, but stopped at maximum.
  • Tree frogs then followed the katydids, but only hesitantly and briefly.
  • A couple birds started evening song, but not in strength.
  • Like Boyd, one distinct gust of wind blew just after the maximum.
In retrospect the parochial experience was better than expected. I've got 57 years of experience with this place, and albeit nuanced nature in her own way responded to the blocking of the sun. I hope I'm not reading too much into this!

S-M

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Funny that you also got the gust of wind. I did not notice the cloud effect though. It was cloudy like @smoke_jumper 's picture earlier, but gradually became clear well before the maximum sun coverage. It certainly didn't get dark enough to look like night, but the sun's intensity did drop quite a bit.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
The clouds made it interesting. You could see it with a welding mask to nothing with the naked eye. I thought it would be a bit darker. I zoomed in on my picture so it's easier to see the sun.
IMG_5261.JPG

Reactions: h2ochild