Some input on buying a winch

Joe1999

Scout
Jan 21, 2007
Well, I got my car stuck last week once again. So, Im thinkin I need to buy a winch. But I dont know much about them. What pulling power should I get? My car is about 3000 pounds, but if its stuck in mud or whatever it will take more power to pull it then if it were on a road. So, Im thinking a 5000lb winch might be ok (?) Or should I get something stronger?
Anything I should know about them. such as features, that would be nice? Also, if anyone knows a good place to get one.

Thanks!! :)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Some more info on buying a wench:

Ensure she is clean. Look at her medical and social history. Don't try to trade up. The one you currently have is probably the best you'll ever be entitled too. Be careful also of the weight. Heavier ones require a more robust winch should you and her be stuck in the pines.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think you are confusing "Wench" with "Winch". Do I have to explain the difference? :bang:

:D

Guy

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
If by "car" you really mean a car you're not going to have much luck with a winch. You won't find any pre-fab mounts for anything that's not a truck or a Jeep, and even getting one made up would be tough. Cars weren't meant to have anything mounted on the front of them. I would go with Guy's (TeeGate) suggestion. A come-a-long is pretty much what you said-a human powered winch. You hook one end of the cable to an anchor point (tree) and the other to whatever is stuck (tow point on the car) and you crank the handle in the middle, which wraps the cable around the drum that you turn. I recommend a Lug-All. Check out Agway, McMaster-Carr, Grainger, etc...

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Given that your vehicle whichever it may be has some solid tow hooks somewhere under as most do, get a Come-A-Long. Don't get fancy. Too many gizmos are more to break. A hunk O' chain & bolt to secure around a nearby tree for hooking to and a decent tow strap for good measure don't hurt.
All the fellas above ('cept fer Bob's wench options unless she's a manly woman) are right. Good old fashioned mechanical advantage works well.
I once uprighted a jeep I tipped, then pulled from the puddle, dried out and finished the night with a Come-A-Long older than me. They rock.

g.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Although I have not yet had to use this, I keep this in my toolbox of my Ford Ranger. The wife and I do a bunch of wheelin' by ourselves and I figured it's better than nothing. It's probably overkill for a car, especially since you probably don't have any tow-points.

mpp.jpg

I purchased it from HERE.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Here is my suggestion, and yes, it comes from experience:

Get an AMERICAN MADE engine hoist!! I have gone through four or five of those come-a-longs with the wire cable. Most are made in china, I think even that one with the American pull name or whatever. Trust me. The spockets wear out even though the cable holds up. I got an old, military/industrial grade engine hoist, probably from the '50's it uses a chain, not a cable and has a 3 tons capacity. It can pull my full sized bronco out sideways. I complement it with a 50 foot chain and tree saver strap. The setup is not terribly expensive and very reliable.

Jeff

Joe1999

Scout
Jan 21, 2007
I drive a Malabu, with no tow hooks or whatever. But I could find someplace under the car to hook it to if I needed to. What pulling power do you's suggest? Car's about 3000lbs, so Im thinkin maybe 4000lb pulling capacity so Ill have some extra power if it needs it. That sound right?

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
I would say 4000lbs would do it-and you should have at least one tow point under the front of the car. This would be the same place a tow truck would hook to in order to pull the car up on a flatbed. Check your owner's manual.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I'd be cautios of using those "tie-down" anchors. I've seen bumpers ripped from autos very easily using these. Something as simple as pulling a car from a snow bank, has rendered cars pretty messed up. Those tie-down anchors are not intended as recovery points, period.

NJTaco

Oct 18, 2006
Galloway, NJ
Um... tie down points are just for tying DOWN, not forward or back or recovery. The unibody Malibu will probably need some help structurally, or you will risk tearing the stamped sheetmetal subframe (I've done this myself, BTW...tearing the subframe, that is.)

X2 on the "More Power Puller", also check out the Black Rat hand winch for longer pulls. Here is a review: http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/general_equipment/black_rat_winch.htm

Good luck on your choice!