Some N.J. state parks, forests can reopen for camping June 22, officials say

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
In Wharton, Atsion Campground is to open, but bizarrely, none of the primitive campgrounds that are spread out and have no facilities. Seems totally backwards to me. It sounds like it has more to do with staffing issues, or keeping an eye on campers, than anything else. If you've ever camped at Lower Forge or Goshen Pond on a weeknight, you would know that the place is deserted even in more normal times. No way to justify it by claiming any crowding problems. Why they would restrict their use is beyond me.

Last edited:

mowergod

Explorer
Apr 9, 2011
Newtonville
In Wharton, Atsion Campground is to open, but bizarrely, none of the primitive campgrounds that are spread out and have no facilities. Seems totally backwards to me. It sounds like it has more to do with staffing issues, or keeping an eye on campers, than anything else. If you've ever camped at Lower Forge or Goshen Pond on a weeknight, you would know that the place is deserted even in more normal times. No way to justify it by claiming any crowding problems. Why they would restrict their use is beyond me.

I've sent a couple of emails to the state about this before they opened asking when and what restrictions and got the reply that they were going to open select spots. To not open the primitive sites is insane if you ask me but knowing the state and our buddy Rob Atsion may be all we get! I sent another email to see what they have to say and I will share that reply as soon as I get it

• Sad
Reactions: manumuskin

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Makes no sense:

"The New Jersey State Park Service will phase in the reopening of select overnight facilities. At this time, many of our tent and trailer family campsites are available to reserve until Sept 7, 2020. Cabins, group cabins, shelters, lean-tos, group lean-tos, wilderness campsites, group campsites, primitive campsites, and primitive group campsites remain closed until further notice.

A full refund will be issued if a reservation will need to be cancelled due to facilities remaining closed. Please contact the park directly for area specific details. "

mowergod

Explorer
Apr 9, 2011
Newtonville
It's completely B.S all the parks on pa and Delaware are fully opened and here we are with just atsion while every commercial park is fully opened but you can't go to Hawkins, Bodine, or any of the good spots it's completely insane

Last edited:

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
I took my daughter "camping" in the backyard last weekend. Pretty sad that they are using this as some kind of excuse to limit public access in a place where there is no risk or downside. When we go to our usual spot at either Goshen or Lower Forge I assure you we never come within 6 feet of another person. Like I said before, on a weeknight, there is no one else.

Reactions: mowergod

mowergod

Explorer
Apr 9, 2011
Newtonville
I took my daughter "camping" in the backyard last weekend. Pretty sad that they are using this as some kind of excuse to limit public access in a place where there is no risk or downside. When we go to our usual spot at either Goshen or Lower Forge I assure you we never come within 6 feet of another person. Like I said before, on a weeknight, there is no one else.
We go to Hawkins Bridge or Bodine field and keep to our selves until night time when I light up my coleman liquid fueled lanterns then the questions come

mowergod

Explorer
Apr 9, 2011
Newtonville
Well you can still buy them new! Bass Pro has 2 Coleman fuel and 1 kero in stock in Atlantic City and parts for the old ones are readily available I have a few that are coming up on a hundred years old that I use often and a bunch of Sears lanterns from the 50s to the late 70s when sears went all propane

mowergod

Explorer
Apr 9, 2011
Newtonville
Due to strict bathrooms cleaning protocols, primitive campgrounds with pit toilets continue to be closed at this time.

https://www.nj.gov/dep/
Jimmy Douglas
Digital Media Coordinator
New Jersey Division of Parks & Forestry
609 775 3018

cid%3Ab761cb8d-4ab6-41d2-aff3-33c4b46233ef

This is the reply from the DEP and it's completely B.S ! IMHO there are parks in pa, del, and right here in Jersey that have pit toilets or spot pots and there open and aloud to run but you can't go camping in the woods but I can go buy all Ah forget it it's new Jersey home of the nanny state

mowergod

Explorer
Apr 9, 2011
Newtonville
Zach your exactly right especially when they see the nice shiny nickel ones I use usually they ask they're safe and not going to catch fire blow up and things like that and then once I tell them no and show them they're generally interested in learning more about him but usually The shiny ones draw em in

mowergod

Explorer
Apr 9, 2011
Newtonville
If they are that worried about the bathrooms, just lock them shut. Unbelieveable.

I think he means that when it gets dark, people notice the lanterns and walk over to ask about them.
It's insane usually when we go my wife will clean the closest one to us at least two times a day and then when we're done she leaves the disinfectant wipes for the next person. I can protest with hundreds of people with no masks but I can't camp at Hawkins Bridge or Bodine field. I can ride a damn roller coaster for the 4th but I can't camp at Hawkins Bridge or Bodine field because you have to use an out house. I'm not the smartest person but someone please tell me if I'm wrong here cause I think the Murphy admin needs to stop riding the short bus and get there heads out of there Ah nevermind it's not worth it I guess I'll go to pa to camp

• Love
It's insane usually when we go my wife will clean the closest one to us at least two times a day and then when we're done she leaves the disinfectant wipes for the next person. I can protest with hundreds of people with no masks but I can't camp at Hawkins Bridge or Bodine field. I can ride a damn roller coaster for the 4th but I can't camp at Hawkins Bridge or Bodine field because you have to use an out house. I'm not the smartest person but someone please tell me if I'm wrong here cause I think the Murphy admin needs to stop riding the short bus and get there heads out of there Ah nevermind it's not worth it I guess I'll go to pa to camp

Its likely that the administration people making rules for parks spend most of their time indoors, and are not in any way campers. No one gets it right all the time.

Don't just complain here, write to the Park Service. Be glad we live in a state where the administration crafts policy based on science, not politics. And remember there's a lot still not known about this virus.

Wearing a mask is the most effective way to protect oneself and others; and is something that you control.

mowergod

Explorer
Apr 9, 2011
Newtonville
Its likely that the administration people making rules for parks spend most of their time indoors, and are not in any way campers. No one gets it right all the time.

Don't just complain here, write to the Park Service. Be glad we live in a state where the administration crafts policy based on science, not politics. And remember there's a lot still not known about this virus.

Wearing a mask is the most effective way to protect oneself and others; and is something that you control.

I have not just complaining here if sent numerous emails to the state and to murphy and have got crickets!