Some photos

Yesterday I went down Batsto-Fireline Rd to check out the fan shaped bog.
Here are some photos:

Along the way--
"The Desert"
44389675-M.jpg

"Sleepy Creek"
44389728-M.jpg

A few shots at the fan shaped bogs--

44389795-M.jpg

44389848-M.jpg

44389899-M.jpg

44389928-M.jpg

I then headed over to the Hampton Furnace area to check out that neat looking area off of High Crossing Rd.

44389997-M.jpg

44390058-M.jpg

On the way out to Rt206 I stopped at the bog after Hampton furnace--

44390069-M.jpg

Steve

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
steve, is this the fan-shape bog you were at?

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4390508&e=528683&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

I was just here today as a matter of fact. A very beautiful place, although it is a shame that some asswipe decided to go 4-wheeling through a portion of the stream. Also, all of the canals in this area have made it nearly impossible to determine where these little streams would have begun and ended prior to their being manipulated by humans. I'm still scratching my head as I pour over sattelite images....

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
No, they are not privately owned. I wish they were to minimize the hunting pressure.
The State acquired them when they were piecing together the non-Wharton owned pieces of the Wharton State Forest.
The bogs on the same road, closer to 206, are privately owned and actively worked.
Boot Hill Gun Club is located on that land in the mobile home along the road.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
pinelandpaddler said:
Are the westcoat bogs still privately owned?

As of the mid 1950's they were private. I am guessing that the state now owns it. That is a large piece of property to pay taxes on and not be able to use it. That is a big incentive to sell.

I will see if I can find out if the state owns it.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very clean photo's Steve. By clean I mean....never mind, I really don't know what I mean, but clean seems to fit my mind right now on them. Clean, clear nature at its best.

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
BobM said:
Very clean photo's Steve. By clean I mean....never mind, I really don't know what I mean, but clean seems to fit my mind right now on them. Clean, clear nature at its best.

Yeah, Bob.
Clean.
Know exactly what you mean.
That's an apt descriptor! Clean works for me.

Steve- those pics really struck some deep, resonant chords with me. I could smell the pines and the water and the air. And all was clean... and timeless ... nothing to place them in a conventional temporal reference. Which is, I'm sure why most of us go into the pines - or are homesick for them.

Damn; am I ever glad for this website and for all who contribute to it. Thank you all.

Dave

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
You should experience Wescoat from a duck hunter's perspective.
Kicking away sheets of skim ice with your shins as you set up decoys in the dark.Hearing the squawks of herons as they cruise by in the predawn light and then the whistling of wings as the pastel sky brightens over the cedars to the east towards Batsto.
The last time I hunted there, me and a friend heard an unnerving cry and screech coming from another bog. It continued for over an hour.
After the morning hunt, we made our way into the other bog and found a heron that was slowly being killed and pulled under by a snapper.
As we approached, the heron sceamed louder and flailed helplessly.
We got close enough to see the snapper and he wasn't about to let go of his hard-earned meal. We let nature take its course and walked away.
I think I will get my stamps this year and give it a shot.
I have been doing more deer hunting than duckin' the past few years and I do miss it.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
The wescoat bogs in pre-dawn light. Wow, what an image! I can picture that in my minds' eye. I will definitely get out there some early morning now that you put that thought in my head. What a unique experience you had with that heron and the snapper! I have heard of the snappers taking down ducks and water fowl but have never experienced it.

Jeff