Some pics from the past year

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Here are some reptiles and amphibs from this past year. Figured winter time would be a good time to post them,

Eastern Hognose,
IMG_1843.jpg

Northern pinesnake,
IMG_1091_1.jpg

Snapper laying eggs,
IMG_1048_1.jpg

Eastern box(male)
box011_03.jpg

Ringnecks hatching in the field,
IMG_2095.jpg

clutch of eastern kingsnakes,
IMG_2434.jpg

adult kingsnake
IMG_2611.jpg

Coastal plains milksnake
IMG_2437.jpg

Pine barrens treefrog, or a stupid tree frog as some of the atv guys would say,
IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

Rough green snake,
IMG_2325.jpg

Timber rattlesnake,
IMG_2030.jpg

Thats all for now.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
I am always impressed with your pictures, its not just the subjects or the composition but the feeling i get from them. Good stuff.

I saw my 1st timber this late summer early fall up close and personal and it scared the hell out of me. Was a weird day for animals, i swear there must have been about a 100 fence lizards in the 6 miles i did all sun bathing, and a garter snake that was so listless we had to move it into the sun to get it moving. Weird day to say the least, but again your pics are amazing , thank you for posting them

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Very nice pictures. My dogs always scare away good animal picture oportunities.

I currently have a Northern Pine Snake with a GPS tracking device trapezing around my field. It was relocated from the old Stafford dump so they could build 400 homes...

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very unique shots Chris, especially the rough green. Fantastic actually.

That milk snake is neat. What kind of habitat did you find that in?

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
OK here is a question...

I always assumed the only poisonous snake around the pines was the timber rattler, is there more? The eastern hognose, for example?

One more question...

I was told that when you run across a timbler rattler you are supposed to report it to the authorities, I guess for preservations sake. Is there anything else you should report coming across?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was told that when you run across a timbler rattler you are supposed to report it to the authorities, I guess for preservations sake. Is there anything else you should report coming across?

Yes, in fact there is. If you see Largo slinking around the woods, get on your cell phone pronto and report him. If he is out there, he is probably up to no good. Stay back at least 200 yards until the proper authorities arrive.

Regarding Timber Rattlesnakes, I don't agree that you should report it to the authoriities. You might not like the actions taken by them, such as trying to restrict easy access to quite a bit of the woods you found him in.

And no, the hognose is not venemous. The Timber is the only snake you should be wary of.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Yes, in fact there is. If you see Largo slinking around the woods, get on your cell phone pronto and report him. If he is out there, he is probably up to no good. Stay back at least 200 yards until the proper authorities arrive.

Regarding Timber Rattlesnakes, I don't agree that you should report it to the authoriities. You might not like the actions taken by them, such as trying to restrict easy access to quite a bit of the woods you found him in.

And no, the hognose is not venemous. The Timber is the only snake you should be wary of.

Thanks. I am always leery of reporting anything to the authorities as I am not overly fond of the way they handle most things that they have no idea of. So, I will not be alerting them to any sightings of timber rattlers. This Largo fellow seems particularly dangerous. I will keep my eyes out. Not quite sure what I am looking for though. :D

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Guys thank for the compliments.

Gipsie, if you find it on private property which is threatened by development than I would report it. If you find it in the outskirts of the barrens say atlantic, cumberland counties then I would report it as they are much more rare if not extirpated from those counties. I only report things on land that is threatened by development.

Bob, guess your not too pleased with that road getting blocked off.....I doubt its something they are going to maintain if I know the spot....you should have access again I would think? As for the coastal they spend 99% of there time underground they like all of the pine habitat but mostly areas that have little tree canopy.

Pancoast you work for Zap? Do you know Brian Scott.....or is this Brian Scott? Anyway how are those pines doing with the relocation.....I was pretty devasted when I saw that new shopping center built.

Bob H. you may have seen one or two of those. Hopefully next year we are tracking those buzztails with the telemtry....just have to find a nongravid.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
When I was in 4th grade I was exploring the woods with some buddies. As we walked toward an old railroad tie we spotted a Milksnake that made a quick escape as we ran toward it. Curious as to what type of snake we saw, the next time I went to the library I found a book on snakes and made what I thought was a positive I.D. The next day in school I told my buddies that we had seen a Coral Snake.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Pancoast you work for Zap? Do you know Brian Scott.....or is this Brian Scott? Anyway how are those pines doing with the relocation.....I was pretty devasted when I saw that new shopping center built.

No, I am (kinda) self employed. I do know 2 guys at Herp Assoc but don't recall their names. I have not seen them since last spring.

All I know is that there are 400 houses going up down there and you can bet 15-20% will have kids with dirt bikes wanting to ride up the hay road. Besides that, the traffic on 72 is going to be insane. That place should have been a golf course, but the town sees tax revenue and makes greedy decisions.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Oji, look up pictures of coastal plains milk snake and scarlet snake.....the latter being somewhat rare in the pines.

Probably not as rare as the Coral Snake. Although it was 38 years ago and a 4th grade reference book didn't list a lot of species. I do remember that it was sunning itself on a RR tie in a large area of sugar sand on Ft. Dix.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills

From what I have read the Largo is only dangerous to the elderly.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Dragon,
These are really wonderful pics. I oft may seem like I sell the Herpers short but I admire your love and handling of the many species you hold dear.
Some of these were taken a lot closer than I would get to the target. You've got an eye for them in photo that shows their beauty. Thanks for sharing your compilation.

Bob,
So you've put out the warnings eh? Slink I will my woodsy friend and never will you know my true purpose.

gipsie
The Largo if you're looking has been known to mimic the dreaded Danny Bonaduce, in look and lifestyle. Sometimes I may take the appearance of a Bobby Flay like creature. Mostly however Largo on average is simply cursed to lurk about in the Greek Adonis like appearance he is so known for.

Oji,
It is unfortunate the dangers the aged have to fear but it is not intentional.
It seems Bob has put the dogs on for fear of simple self preservation.

g.

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
the most amazing pics, i would love to see half of those species in the wild, and something as amazing as egg laying, my only experience was seeing a diamondback terrapin lay eggs, and only a camera phone, ugh, again awesome pics

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Largo, I don't actually get that close. I have a macro lense so I can get close ups but took many of those shots from a pretty safe distance. Timber rattlesnake are actually quite misunderstood.....all the ones I've encountered are quite relaxed and if you give them respect your fine......its the buffoons that choose to handle or harass the creatures that they can pose a threat too.....not to mention that handling them is very stressful on them.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Bob H. should post his photos of these specimens.....Bob takes significantly better photos then me.....Bob you have any good shots of those baby kings?