Someday was today

B

bach2yoga

Well, the snow precluded any serious investigation for putty root orchid and swamp pink, but I headed out anyway this morning for some alone time and searched for the elusive Cumberland forge...which remained elusive.

I scoured the furnace area a bit, then headed up toward Dorothy and visited the area of swamp pink I had shown Barry last year. Since it was generally frozen over and the vegetation had significantly died back, I was able to bushwack quite a bit further back...there is more in there to count, Barry! I should have liked to have explored even further, but the ice broke beneath my weight and soaked one leg to my mid leg. I went on a bit, but the cold wet clothes were uncomfortable, so I opted for drying out the socks on the heater while I headed toward my next stop. On the way I noticed the jeep shaking a bit, and pulled over, with one shoe on, and no shoe or socks on the other, and got out to see that I had had a blowout. So back on went the cold wet socks and boot.

Now I'm not stupid by any means. I can put together a barbque grill faster than you can shake a stick. But I don't know the difference between an axle and shock. Well, barely, anyway. Actually, not at all. :rolleyes:

I've always said that someday I would learn how to change a tire and change the oil on my own. Turns out someday was today.

So I called Joe, and wonderful guy that he is, dropped everything to head out to my rescue. While waiting I decided, what the heck, I may as well get the jack and tire etc out for him. Next thing I know, I'm changing the tire and Joe shows up. I laughed and told him I was well into changing it, ain't no way I was gonna let him do it now, I was doing it on my own! He laughed and obliged, but stuck around to make sure I was ok.

So we made it home in one piece, I feeling quite the independent woman YEAH! and wondering why the hell I was so afraid of changing a tire!!! :bounce:

Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Congratulations!

I taught Jessica how to change a tire, and she can do it well. The only problem is she has no strength to get the lugs off.

I worked in a gas station as a kid for 4 years, and one tip I can tell you if you ever have the tires put on at a service station, when you return home loosen the lug nuts if possible, or have Joe loosen them, and tighten them by hand using the lug wrench. The impact wrench if used improperly has caused me to have to use a bar slid over the end of the lug wrench to loosen the nuts.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
Congratulations!

I taught Jessica how to change a tire, and she can do it well. The only problem is she has no strength to get the lugs off.

I worked in a gas station as a kid for 4 years, and one tip I can tell you if you ever have the tires put on at a service station, when you return home loosen the lug nuts if possible, or have Joe loosen them, and tighten them by hand using the lug wrench. The impact wrench if used improperly has caused me to have to use a bar slid over the end of the lug wrench to loosen the nuts.

Guy

I found myself putting my body weight over the lug wrench so I wasn't relying on brute strength. Might not work for Jess though, she's so tiny! :lol:

Joe says the back tire of the jeep is easier than the front wheel of most cars with the bumper jacks, so I guess I got lucky on my first experience. :wink:

Renee