Sound In The Burn Area

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

If you walk around in the burn area enough you will eventually hear a clicking sound coming from various trees. We have noticed this for a few months and this past weekend I recorded it. Whatever it is has placed itself inside the tree or behind the bark.

I have uploaded a wav file to my storage area on this website (njpinebarrens dot com) and if you are interested you can download it at the below link. If you have concerns don't download it. The file came from my phone and computer only and uploaded to this site only. I did the converting in my computer from a m4a to wav using the Apple Music app in my computer.

Jessica and I was wondering if it is a click bug. If not we would like to know. Give me your thoughts. And in the near future try to walk around in the burn area and listen closely as you walk around. You will hear it as we do every weekend.

This is a direct download and will download as soon as you click on the link. No turning back :) :)

Click Bug___ 1.wav

Last edited:
Reactions: stiltzkin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica said she read where trees make noise when dehydrated. Not sure that is the answer as the clicking noise came from one area.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yea, it does sound like the pine bark beetle.

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
For what it may be worth in your query. A couple months ago I acquired a few sections of green River Birch for use in wood carving. The sections that I couldn’t carve right away, I paint the cut ends with latex paint to help hold the moisture in and put aside for future use. It has been boggling my mind ever since the clicking, or crackling, or chewing sound that has been continuously been coming from these pieces. At first I swore it had to be a beetle or some other sort of insect chewing away under the bark. Lately, however, I feel it is the bark separating from the sapwood. I don’t know if it is just a thing with the river birch with its big sheets of peeling bark or if a similar thing happens with other species.