South Jersey Magazine

PBJ1971

Scout
Oct 19, 2004
Belleplain, NJ
As I was climbing my family tree last night, I came across my stack of back issues of South Jersey magazine. Some of them date to the 1970's and have photos, articles, etc about some of the now ghost towns and forgotten places.

FALL 1972
-The Union Academy
-Let's Follow The River Along (The Mullica)
-Custom Candling
-1875 Map of Salem
-Absecon Railroad
-Railway Post Offices in SJ
-We Remember Dr. Charles H. Conover
-History of The Brandiff Family....

and the issues go on and on (Spring & Summer 1972, Winter 1973, Fall 2001, Winter, Spring, Summer 2002). Without violating copyright issues, I'd like to be able to share what I have. Any suggestions?

PS I am always on the lookout for more back issues--I am trying to amass the whole collection :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You should write the company and ask if you could post them. What do you have to loose? An old issue from that far back will most likely not be a concern for them.

http://www.sjmagazine.com/

Guy

PBJ1971

Scout
Oct 19, 2004
Belleplain, NJ
TeeGate said:
You should write the company and ask if you could post them. What do you have to loose? An old issue from that far back will most likely not be a concern for them.

http://www.sjmagazine.com/

Guy

Not sure if this site is the same magazine...it's printed out of Millville and just chock full of history, stories, old diaries, etc. I am writing to the company right now (if it is still in print) about back issues and posting their articles with credit given to proper author, etc. The Mullica River article is pretty good :cool: ...

PBJ1971

Scout
Oct 19, 2004
Belleplain, NJ
http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/9850791.htm

In South Jersey: Two magazines with the same name go to court

GEOFF MULVIHILL
Associated Press

MOUNT LAUREL, N.J. - South Jersey's age-old identity crisis has become a federal case for two rival magazine publishers.

One periodical that calls itself South Jersey Magazine is suing a company that was planning to produce another publication by the same name. The lawsuit filed last month in U.S. District Court in Camden drags in a third publication - the defunct South Jersey Magazine.

For the record, still another similarly named publication, SJ Magazine - which calls itself, right on its cover, "South Jersey's Magazine" - is not part of the litigation.

Keeping the parties straight in the case is challenging, to say the least. And the dispute echoes a long-standing question about Garden State geography and culture: Exactly what is South Jersey?

Ask someone in Bergen County and you might hear that Princeton is in South Jersey. But to some along the Delaware Bay, the Philadelphia suburbs are too far north to be considered south.

From 1972 until two years ago, Shirley Bailey published a quarterly called, of course, South Jersey Magazine, that chronicled the history of the region - with particular emphasis on its rural heritage.

In March, Bailey sold the name to Cape Publishing, which planned to launch a new South Jersey Magazine later this year. That publication would have history-oriented features about rural and small-town South Jersey and especially Cape May, at the state's southernmost tip.

Unlike Bailey's black-and-white affair, Cape Publishing's version would be a glossy full-color magazine.

And, for the record, Cape owner Bernard Haas said it would be nothing like SJ Magazine, a four-year-old lifestyle title based in Cherry Hill.

"I don't think we need yet another lifestyle magazine about the suburbs of Philadelphia," Haas said.

But soon after he thought the $20,000 he paid Bailey had secured the name for his publication, he ran across the other South Jersey Magazine, a Philadelphia suburb-centric lifestyle magazine that began publishing in April.

Thomas Mattioli, the lawyer for GPI Media of Medford, which puts out the latter publication, said the payment to Bailey did not buy Cape Publishing the trademark to South Jersey Magazine because no one has registered one.

Haas and GPI Media both want the same thing from a federal judge: A ruling on who is entitled to the name.

The court fight reminds Bailey, 76, of her early days of putting out her magazine in the early 1970s.

"Within a period of two or three years, four or maybe five other South Jersey Magazines came out," she said.

Her lawyer, she said, put an end to each of them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I guess this is the answer to one of my questions...

SJDen

Jun 5, 2012
I am looking for a specific article from the 1997 Spring & Summer issues of South Jersey Magazine. The article is titled "Growing Up in Audubon in the Early 1900's" by Ted Deusch ... can you help me??

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ben, I give you a lot of credit for changing. I just read that post you made about the sister site and cringed. I thought it was recent. I'm glad you recognize that someone would have hurt feelings over that.

I remember when I was in my twenties, and I made fun of a guy who lived in Browns Mills and worked and almost lived out of his ramshackle pickup truck. He did odd jobs. It was a disaster with many dings and dents, loose parts, and a smoking tailpipe. My buddy pointed out that he was just trying to make a buck for his family, and it was all he knew how to do. That really made an impression on me. We all try, but we are not all equal. God bless the little guy. :)

Reactions: dogg57

jejennings

Dec 4, 2009
Sicklerville, NJ
As I was climbing my family tree last night, I came across my stack of back issues of South Jersey magazine. Some of them date to the 1970's and have photos, articles, etc about some of the now ghost towns and forgotten places.

FALL 1972
-The Union Academy
-Let's Follow The River Along (The Mullica)
-Custom Candling
-1875 Map of Salem
-Absecon Railroad
-Railway Post Offices in SJ
-We Remember Dr. Charles H. Conover
-History of The Brandiff Family....

and the issues go on and on (Spring & Summer 1972, Winter 1973, Fall 2001, Winter, Spring, Summer 2002). Without violating copyright issues, I'd like to be able to share what I have. Any suggestions?

PS I am always on the lookout for more back issues--I am trying to amass the whole collection :)
Does anyone know of a published index to the articles appearing in Bailey's "South Jersey Magazine." It would be really handy to find articles in those of us who have collections of this periodical.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
There is a 22-page index titled "Contents listing articles and illustrations — South Jersey Magazine" that covers Winter 1972—Spring 1992. I think I have a complete run, which ends with July, August, September 2002 (Volume 31, Number 3), so the last decade is missing from the index. It is an offprint I had received from the owner Shirley Bailey and is credited to South Jersey Magazine, PO Box 847, Millville, NJ 08332.

With some fitting irony there is an article in the last issue titled "The Pine Barrens of South Jersey" by Walter G. Ribeiro, Sr.

S-M