South Jersey

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This is an interesting article. Read the "talk" comments too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Jersey

Those who wrote the article and the two talking points have a deep misunderstanding of Ocean County places, and what it would mean to leave them out.

If you go by their boundary, the following are actually in North Jersey:

The Eastern Pine Plains
Forked River Mountains
Part of White's Bog
Stafford Forge
Wells Mills
Double Trouble
Barnegat

Ocean County in total should have been left in. Period.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I totally consider Ocean County as SJ. Then again it is Wikipedia so what can we expect?

TurboDan

Aug 11, 2012
Surf City, NJ
I'm a news editor and occasionally cover the state Marine Fisheries Council meetings that are held in Galloway. I usually hang around after the meeting to talk fishing with some of the regulars, who are all from Atlantic and Cape May counties. When they ask where I fish and I mention Barnegat Bay or Island Beach State Park, the response is always, "Oh, up in North Jersey." I've lived in either northern Ocean (Brick) or southern Ocean (LBI) my entire life and always thought I lived in South Jersey.

I once asked a guy from Cape May where he thinks North Jersey begins. His response: "Once you get north of the canal, you're in North Jersey." :D

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Btw., I always thought it was... Anything north of Trenton is "north" and "south" is south... However, ocean county for me has always been referred to as "south jersey"

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Personally I don't consider parts of ocean as south jersey (brick, toms, seaside), but it is more of the cultural differences with those areas versus topography, forest type, ecology. If there wasn't people there I would consider them south jersey.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have always considered the line to run diagonally from South Amboy to the neck of the Delaware river just below Trenton just above the Bristol Bridge but I must admit I have met folks from Monmouth county and even northern Ocean county who have quite nasty North Jersey/NYC accents.Physiographically speaking I would consider anywhere in the outer coastal plain as south jersey and much of the inner below trenton as well.By the way most of the people below the canal are not native jersyians but misplaced shoobies from what I hear.Much like most of south Florida below Cocoa Beach are misplaced snow birds and do not sound like native floridians who are southern.In florida north is south and vice versa when it comes to the folks.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I don't think many people from Toms, Brick and Seaside would say they are south jerseyians. I once told a friend from work who live below south amboy that he was from SJ and he was adamant about not being from south jerz.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Your all forgetting about Central Jersey :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_New_Jersey

http://www.gocentraljersey.com/

http://centraljersey.com/

nj-regions-map.jpg

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
While no line pleases everyone, back in the day I found the 201/609 area code division as good a line as any. But they shot that idea to heck with the new area codes.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I say if the majority of the folks talk through their nose and say Joisey then your in north joisey.Also they tend to say wooda when they want a drink.If they say jersey and wooder then your in south jersey,also the nasal thing disappears.

PS
down here near the bay a new lingo appears.for the word "sink" the word "zinc" appears and the word nothing instead of "nuthin" as most would say it it becomes nOthin with the word pronounced as the o in the word nod.Now out near Shiloh they tend to pronounce their O's very long as in oatside instead of outside,almost sounds Canadian.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
If this helps, New Egypt is the geograpical center of NJ with a higher latitude in the NW corner and a lower Latitude in the SE corner. The North South line is on an angle from the Bordentown-Trenton border, through New Egypt and coming down Cedar Creek, which is the dividing line between Lacey Township and Bayville. I say this because of several factors, the way they drive North of Cedar Creek, no signals, tailgate at any speed, pass on double solid yellow lines and extensive use of the horn. The next is that the Yankees, the Mets, Devils etc are considered the home team. We in South Jersey consider the Philadelphia teams as the home teams. I live in Ocean County on the Southern side and I know what my neighbors say and do. The majority consider Bayville as being North. Also, Central NJ is carved out entirely of North Jersey Real Estate.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I've always considered it to be like this:

North Jersey: From the NY border down to the Raritan River
Central NJ: From the Raritan River south to I-195.
South Jersey: Everything south of 195.

Mostly so I can consider myself to live in South Jersey. :)

Reactions: Trailwalker

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
The majority consider Bayville as being North.

I have to disagree with that! The whole time I thought I lived in South Jersey. We do have a mix of Philly and New York influence, but I would never consider it North Jersey. I was once told that everything north of the A.C. Expressway is North Jersey.

Ben, I like the way you break it down and 46ers map is good also. Thats how I always looked at it.

Chris

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I see more rebel flags flying around this area and on Pick up truck bumpers then I ever do when I actually go down south.Use to have a few of my own come to think of it.back when I was a rebelgade.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Don't forget the use of the word, "Crick" here in South Jersey. There is no grammatical word as Crick. Haha. I love it!