southern adder's tongue

B

bach2yoga

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

This is the link to the adder's tongue pic in my album.

I was having difficulty figuring out which variety it was, based on what was supposed to exist in NJ and with all of the botanical name changes the adder's tongue has gone through, so I had contacted David Snyder, the state botanist about it, and at his request sent him a specimen.

As it turns out, this species was thought to be SH (historical) in NJ. What a cool find! :bounce:

Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bach2yoga said:
As it turns out, this species was thought to be SH (historical) in NJ. What a cool find! :bounce:

Renee

What does "historical" exactly mean? I am not up on the plant lingo, but I assume it means "uncommon" and "rare" but not extinct!

Guy

B

bach2yoga

it means it has not seen in NJ for many years, and believed to no longer exist in NJ, though it has been known to or thought to have existed in NJ at one time.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bach2yoga said:
it means it has not seen in NJ for many years, and believed to no longer exist in NJ, though it has been known to or thought to have existed in NJ at one time.

Thanks. Were generally did you find this? No GPS reading permitted! :wink:

Guy

J

JeffD

I got it. Green, as in nature lover, environmentalist, whatever... I'm a nature lover, but not a Tree Hugger or Disney Ecologist.

Serioiusly, it is a good idea not to publicly advertise where a historical species is. Remember the plant you discovered had been pulled up by its roots. Renee? When I worked in a state park, I overheard a women tell kids (from a distance) to pull up the flowers they were picking illegally by the roots. I informed the kids that it was illegal to pick flowers in a state park. They informed the woman and she complained about that as she went away. In the park where I worked, trailing arbutis became extinct because of overpicking. In my evening campfire programs during my slide presentation, I would mention how many people visit the park yearly and that if only a small percentage of them picked flowers, there may not be left for others to enjoy, and I showed a slide of the extinct trailing arbutis.

B

bach2yoga

re: green, gee, don't I feel stupid... :dunce:

I know exactly what you mean, though, Jeff...guard your finds. I still get upset when I think about those orchids being dug up. :cry:

Renee

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
I think that we should make that an official rule of the website. No divulging specific locations of rare plants or extremely fragile ruins, etc.

Hear, hear! :chug:

Somehow I think we're all on agreement with that one!!!

Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I did not ask for specific locations, just an area such as near my house, near your house, in the Wharton, etc,etc.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

Oh, Guy, I know that--you even said no GPS coordinates!!!
You aren't who I am worried about--it's anyone else that could be reading that I don't know or don't feel comfortable with knowing the info!
Sorry you took it that way, not at all what I meant!
That's why I emailed you offlist! :D
Ben, you need an emoticon with a person with a foot in their mouth. It's starting to feel like a permanent attachment for me recently, ha! :p
Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bach2yoga said:
Oh, Guy, I know that--you even said no GPS coordinates!!!
You aren't who I am worried about--it's anyone else that could be reading that I don't know or don't feel comfortable with knowing the info!
Sorry you took it that way, not at all what I meant!
That's why I emailed you offlist! :D
Ben, you need an emoticon with a person with a foot in their mouth. It's starting to feel like a permanent attachment for me recently, ha! :p
Renee

Renee,

I did not take offense to your post, and I have never taken offense to anyone's post. I was just mentioning that I believe "general location" is described as Wharton, my area, your area, etc.

Guy