d.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It looks like Al got new pants. He ripped two pairs beyond repair on the last couple of outings. They look good in your photo's, almost normal after the bluring.

Thanks!

Guy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
It looks like Al got new pants. He ripped two pairs beyond repair on the last couple of outings. They look good in your photo's, almost normal after the bluring.

Thanks!

Guy

The posted batch of photos were blurry before I went to town on them. :) My camera is wandering the world with my vacationing family (while I suffer at home, alone). Alfie brought a little point-and-shoot digital that dates back to the flood; he handed it over. I quickly realized a normal photography process was hopeless.

No matter; Alfie's already beat me up, off forum, about what I've done to these photos. It was either how bad they look or how weird. Or not posting them at all, I guess. I opted for strange, which should have come as no surprise to my pleasantly plump buddy.

We were hiking along the south side of the Nescohague, following an ancient water-diverting canal. Alfie said there might be a thread here on the fo'am concerning a PBX hike containing some history on this canal? (The bridge photo above was the only canal snap that half turned out.) It's hard to believe how much digging this required. Somebody wanted the creek's water badly! I found Alfie's relating of the canal tale somewhat amusing. Water stealing. Yeah. Court battles, no doubt some fist raising; "give us our river back!" People are great.

Alfie looked good in his new digs.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Love the effects, Alfie's cool pants, the incredible colors. The bridge shot grabs me with its wonderful textured greens. The last one is classic Alfie, worthy of framing. Next one up: priceless for composition and a luminous sense of place. The eye is drawn to that lovely tree . . .

Photos (even though substandard) transmogrified into paintings! Whip, you've done it again. Thank you.

Glo

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Glo, Pancoast ... thank you.

The above video clip is from a most beautiful film by Akira Kurosawa, called Dreams. In this section of the film (one of eight dreams), a man in an art gallery becomes so absorbed in a painting by Vincent Van Gogh that he dreams of journeying into the painting, then meets the painter, and finally (and most spectacularly) walks through several of Van Gogh's paintings. Seeing this on the big screen years ago stunned me.

So I went out and hired the Pillsbury Doughboy and have a go at it myself from time to time.

swamp4.jpg

Pillsbury Doughboy in cedar swamp

Alfie hates it when I do this to him in photos, but I just poke him in the belly with my finger and he giggles happily again.

Do watch the clip. It's ten minutes well spent.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Yes, the dynamic duo ride again! Al would make a great cartoon character, I can see him hanging out with Archie and Jughead. Kurosawa was a genius, I have watched Dreams several times and it is like your a guest in his dreams. Extra credit for anyone who names the "actor" playing Van Gogh.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Extra credit for anyone who names the "actor" playing Van Gogh.

Clementon Gun Club ? ? ? !!! That answer won me some $$$ a few months back. Does it win here ?
OK....I don't know the answer but I looked it up. I will leave it to the minds that operate effectively on Monday evenings to answer this one.

turtle

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Bill,

Here is my post on that. The photo's no longer work and if anyone is really interested I will fix them. That place has a nice piece of history very few people know about. Thanks to Gabe for finding the lawsuit on Google after I posted this. Scroll down to his link.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=2248&highlight=augustus

Guy

Guy,

Thanks for posting this!

Al and I went to the dam location on the Nescohague this morning (one of many lovely stops). I found the creek/dam scene exceptionally beautiful ... peaceful.

Alfie'd jumped right in the creek when we arrived, wanting to find some glass slag. I took several photos of this search (and many others from the day); Al should forward me these at some point tonight. When Al was in the creek pulling out dam rocks, bricks and (finally) a piece of slag with glass in it, he realized he'd left his cell phone in his pocket. Ruined. Mild cursing ensued. Fifteen seconds later, he realized his GPS had fallen from his shirt pocket while he was leaning to reach for slag; his man-toy somewhere in the creek. Al's universe exploded. Oh, boy. Under the surface he went, for minutes at a time. Up for air. "I'll never find it, Bill. Wah!" Back under. Up again. "Wah!" Al thought his Triton was lost for good, but a friend of his saved the day, calmly surveying the sitcheeashun and retrieving his still-operating device. :)

Fun day. Hopefully some photos to post later ...

Bill

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Glad you found that place interesting Bill. I may write up an article for Ben on the history there. It is out of the way and very few visit, and the history is not well known.

Al.. Jessica read where if you take off all the sides of the phone and remove the battery, you can stick it in a jar or can of rice and it absorbs the water.

Bill.. here is Jessica holding the glass that Gabe found in the river. Slightly blurry. I have that piece somewhere around here.

IMG_0343.JPG

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Lets get this straight Billy.It all started in the middle of the stream when we got into the arguement about how you been messin up all the pictures you take of me.It's bad enough I'm a fat boy but you make me a fuzzy fat boy and thats worse.You'd think you'd make my head fuzzy too but KNOOOWWW! You always make my bald spot come in bright and clear.Well I know I was being mean criticisizing your work like that but sometimes I do think you pick out my worst features and capitalize on em and i flipped.Well I seen the pouty lip start to stick out and I knew it was on.Your feeling were hurt.I wasn't ready for your next step.You grabbed my Triton out of my shirt pocket and flipped it over your shoulder and into the creek,man i saw red.I grabbed you in a head lock before i realized it.i do think that would've been your end but you managed to trip me and as i spun around you shoved my head under water and held me down till i liked to passed out.You cut my nose on that piece of glass you took a pic of me holding later,bet you wouldn't tell that when you post the pic.Thats about when i felt my phone start to buzz.It was in my side pants pocket and when i felt it go off i knew it was fried.Thats when I saw purple and exploded out of the water,grabbed you by the hair and reached my arm down your throat till i grabbed your ankles and yanked you inside out.bet you won't find anything in the Acme catalog to get you out of that mess.Just remember just cause yer breath smells like ape poop,that don't make you Tarzan.I will give you credit for finding the Triton.Of course after I explained to you we were lost without it and would never find our way home ,out came the bottom lip again and it started to quiver.I was not in the mood for tears and told you to find it or start building a lean to and you didn't come up for air till you had it.Now I'll call it even.Lets shake hands and make up.And Billy, forget about that trip down south to get a nest of fire ants,If you so much as cross the NC line I'll cut all the zippers out of every life jacket you own.
Alfie

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Lets get this straight Billy.It all started in the middle of the stream when we got into the arguement about how you been messin up all the pictures you take of me.It's bad enough I'm a fat boy but you make me a fuzzy fat boy and thats worse.You'd think you'd make my head fuzzy too but KNOOOWWW! You always make my bald spot come in bright and clear.Well I know I was being mean criticisizing your work like that but sometimes I do think you pick out my worst features and capitalize on em and i flipped.Well I seen the pouty lip start to stick out and I knew it was on.Your feeling were hurt.I wasn't ready for your next step.You grabbed my Triton out of my shirt pocket and flipped it over your shoulder and into the creek,man i saw red.I grabbed you in a head lock before i realized it.i do think that would've been your end but you managed to trip me and as i spun around you shoved my head under water and held me down till i liked to passed out.You cut my nose on that piece of glass you took a pic of me holding later,bet you wouldn't tell that when you post the pic.Thats about when i felt my phone start to buzz.It was in my side pants pocket and when i felt it go off i knew it was fried.Thats when I saw purple and exploded out of the water,grabbed you by the hair and reached my arm down your throat till i grabbed your ankles and yanked you inside out.bet you won't find anything in the Acme catalog to get you out of that mess.Just remember just cause yer breath smells like ape poop,that don't make you Tarzan.I will give you credit for finding the Triton.Of course after I explained to you we were lost without it and would never find our way home ,out came the bottom lip again and it started to quiver.I was not in the mood for tears and told you to find it or start building a lean to and you didn't come up for air till you had it.Now I'll call it even.Lets shake hands and make up.And Billy, forget about that trip down south to get a nest of fire ants,If you so much as cross the NC line I'll cut all the zippers out of every life jacket you own.
Alfie

Funny Al!

But you lied about one thing. You were not lost. I know you, and I know you could have gotten out just as easy as getting in without a stinking GPS. Don't be giving Bill anxiety attacks unecessarily.

PS: photos at 11?

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Tuesday with the Pillsbury Doughboy

Uh ... don't mind Alfie. He's had a bad day. He lost all of his electronics and couldn't find any stones (including his own).

aa-2.jpg

Nescohague bound

ab-1.jpg

ac-2.jpg

creek's first glimpse

in the canal
ad-1.jpg

ae-1.jpg

Doughboy wollers in Nescohague
af-1.jpg

GPS dunking position
ag-1.jpg

ah-1.jpg

ai-1.jpg

aj-1.jpg

ak-1.jpg

Intermission. You can go to the bathroom now.

Paid advertisement; MAGELLAN GPS DEVICES ARE 100% WATERPROOF

Okay, more pics...

someplaces else
al-1.jpg

am-1.jpg

an-1.jpg

Pillsbury Doughboy's Suzuki
ar-1.jpg

Doughboy leaves Suzuki to look for stone
ap-1.jpg

Doughboy couldn't find GPS; now he can't find stone
aq-1.jpg

Whip pokes Doughboy in belly and finds him a stone.
ao-1.jpg

Second intermission. Grab a Coke.

Public Service Announcement; Remove cell phone from pocket before jumping in river.

The final chapter
as-1.jpg

at-1.jpg

av-1.jpg

au-1.jpg

za.jpg

zb.jpg

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Do I see something blooming in the B/W photo? I wouldn't worry about being lost, once the big ole bar's tummy started to rumble and he started thinking about momma's home cooking he would find the shortest route back to the Suzuki.