Speedwell Furnace

sschliv

Sep 1, 2003
Awesome find!!! There's still stuff to be found out there!! How neat is that!

Was it buried?

What will you do with it?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I found it in a strange location. It was next to a tree that had blown over, the oak you see in the first photo. Was it in the root area and then popped out when it blew over? Its likely. Or maybe someone pulled it out from the exposed root area, did not recognize it for anything and just left it there.

I would like to show it to someone who really knows about the products of the early furnaces. It may be a cannonball half. I read on the net they often made them in halfs and then somehow connected the halves together with heat. If anyone knows of a historian let me know.

There was also a big pine blown down next to the water. I estimate over a hundred years old, but I don't really know. Interesting thing is, I found bits of slag and charcoal from the furnace operations embedded in the root ball, so the operations are older than that pine.

I am thinking of trying to go back out there and poke around some more this weekend or next. There is a flower I need another photo of too.

bob

B

BarryC

I bet Budd Wilson could ID it for you.
Bob, if you want to see a big Pitch Pine, you ought to see the one we saw near Nash's Cabin. It's enormous.
My guess about that object is a maybe a mold (mould?) for a cannon ball. I dunno.
BobM said:
I found it in a strange location. It was next to a tree that had blown over, the oak you see in the first photo. Was it in the root area and then popped out when it blew over? Its likely. Or maybe someone pulled it out from the exposed root area, did not recognize it for anything and just left it there.

I would like to show it to someone who really knows about the products of the early furnaces. It may be a cannonball half. I read on the net they often made them in halfs and then somehow connected the halves together with heat. If anyone knows of a historian let me know.

There was also a big pine blown down next to the water. I estimate over a hundred years old, but I don't really know. Interesting thing is, I found bits of slag and charcoal from the furnace operations embedded in the root ball, so the operations are older than that pine.

I am thinking of trying to go back out there and poke around some more this weekend or next. There is a flower I need another photo of too.

bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

Contact Paul Schopp and ask him. He is an actual historian and actively is involved in tracking revolutionary war troop movements and such. I have his email address if you want it. If you want I will send him the photo's and ask him.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Benjamin Randolph was a big Revolutionary, and exiled himself to Speedwell when the British (briefly) occupied Philly. He didn't spend much time at Speedwell, though, as he returned to his shop as soon as the British left.

His shop, however, was nearly destroyed by the Tories. He later decided to sell all of his materials and move BACK to Speedwell. He then sort of became a recluse at Speedwell (along with his family.) IIRC he died there, and his widow lived there for a short time longer, selling the property to the owner of the Eagle Tavern.

B

bach2yoga

BobM said:
njvike said:
Bob,Nice find. I hope it truly is a cannon ball? If so, what next?Ken

Don't know, but I actually started worrying last nite about property ownership if you know what I mean.........bob

Might suggest contacting the property owner and telling them you are having a historian look at it, after which point you will return it to them or donate it to a museum etc, if they would prefer (that way you can get credit for finding it)...that is, if you are not planning on keeping it.

I did something similar with the materials I found at Cumberland Furnace, but since the Nature Conservancy is having Alan Mounier (archealogist) look at the site, I returned them before having them evaluated on my own. But knowing that so many people have been there digging for things for their private collections, I couldn't leave what I found there, only to be pillaged for a private collection of someone who was only interested in who had more artifacts and not the actual history of the place.

Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
His shop in Philadelphia was called "Sign of the Golden Eagle." In those days most shops were called something along those lines because of the signs they hung outside their shops. His shop was in the neighborhood of Third and Chestnut street.

Randolph was a cabinet maker. He also made coffins, picture frames, Chippendale furniture, etc. He also made the desk that the Declaration of Independance was written on. Thos. Jefferson and George Washington often stayed at the Randolph home while on business in Philla. during the 1st Continental Congress.

Randolph was a staunch patriot, and was a secret agent for Washington, as well as a commander of the Philladelpha Light Horse. He took part in the battles of Princeton and Trenton, and was a guide for Washington's army in the night march from Princeton to Trenton. (Randolph had grown up in Princeton and knew the area quite well.)

He was also pretty kind. Around 1777, workers at Speedwell captured two deserters from Anthony Wayne's corps from Mount Holly. He asked for a pardon for the "unlucky fellows" and "desire[d] no expense of mine be charged to the country." What was at Speedwell then? There was a "good new two story house, framed and covered in cedar, good cellars walled up by stone, good brick hearths, and oven." There was also a log house for a sawyer, barn and stables for 16-18 horses, and a sawmill with "two saws, newly repaired." He also held two hundred acres of iron ore.

Randolph bought Speedwell around the 1760, to build a sawmill to provide his shop in Phila. with lumber. After he sold his shop in Philly, he became a merchant, and became quite wealthy. Three times he tried to sell the Speedwell property. Each time the new owner defaulted and he regained ownership. In the 1780s, he built the furnace there. He also built another large dwelling house at Speedwell, although he himself was also living in Burlington.

In 1791 he died, but his widow leased the works out to various people while she lived in Morristown. In 1833 his widow sold the property to Samuel Richards, who then sold it to Joseph McCambridge, owner of the Eagle Tavern in 1850, who then resold it to Stephen Lee in 1868.

I am late for work now, but I will most likely end up writing a more detailed history in an article for the site in the next few weeks.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
TeeGate said:
Bob, If you want I will send him the photo's and ask him.
Guy

Please do Guy...........bob

Bob,

I wrote Paul and he responded. Here is the scoop!

Regarding the find at Speedwell, it is quite interesting, but I rather doubt
it is a cannonball mold. A cannonball "mold" would not be made of iron. Iron casting was done in sand molds which have had a wooden pattern pressed into them. If the cast cannonball was to be hollow, an oil-soaked molded sand ball--called a core--would be placed in the sand mold (the flask) and held in place by small wood pieces or some other disposable item to keep it centered and so the iron would flow completely around it. The item that you found is likely a cast-iron pot. It could even be a ladle or a crucible. I would have to see it close up to know for sure.

So we have to now find out what it exactly is.

Guy