Spooky Pines

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Last night I was bored so I decided to drive around. I got the dreat idea of driving up High Bridge Road into Colliers Mill WMA and then driving back to 70 via Cassville.

I have been in the pines at night before, but for some reason last night was really spooky. Especially when I stopped at Success Lake to answer nature's call and there was a pretty big mist rising up off the lake, illuminated by my headlights.

The pines at night are 8) but I keep expecting :jd: or zombies to show up.

If one of our former members were here she'd accuse me of becoming a WeirdNJ board for this post...

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It is hard to go in the pines alone at night, I admit, but especially so when there is no moonlight. I also want to do it more, to make it a more natural thing to do.

You hear little noises at night, and because you cannot see, your mind starts to imagine what it could be, and it starts to freak me out a bit. :shock:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Speaking of being freaked out at night, last night I was over by the edge of Lebanon State forest by Pasadena road at about 11PM.

It was scary dark, and I heard something crackle in the bushes. Then, I heard someone whispering...."welcome to......."welcome to....."welcome to....

I blindly ran after the sound (like a fool), and captured my prey. I drug it into a nearby hunting cabin and shone a light on it. Here is what was wandering in the woods at night and making that sound. Beware, this is a scary picture:

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/forums...ery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If people like him roam the woods at night, we need to stay out of them.

Guy

B

BarryC

Well I don't scare easily, but I was out at Nash's Cabin at night once, maybe 10 pm. I had my then girlfriend with me, with her son. We took a walk down the road that you get on if you drive right through the cabin site. (Her son stayed in my truck because he didn't feel like going with us.) I wanted to show her the giant Pitch Pine that's out that way, along with that cellar hole that some of us have seen. Way out across the pond we heard a coyote calling and she got scared. I told her it was way off across the pond and nowhere near us, but she insisted we walk back to the truck right away. Also we heard some kind of frogs calling in the pond, which I later determined to be New Jersey Chorus Frogs. She also thought they were spooky-sounding.
I couldn't believe a Piney such as herself was scared at night in the Pines. Oh well. That was my only time out in the Pines at night, other than here at the house.
Barry